Calc Volumes of Rotation Bodies | x-axis & 7x-x^2

In summary, the volumes of the rotation bodies which arises when the area D in the xy-plane bounded by x-axis and curve 7x-x^2may rotate around x- respective y-axes are 2\pi V_x and 2\pi V_y.
Petrus
Calculate the volumes of the rotation bodies which arises when the area D in the xy-plane bounded by x-axis and curve \(\displaystyle 7x-x^2\)may rotate around x- respective y-axes.
I will calculate \(\displaystyle V_x\) and \(\displaystyle V_y\) I start to get crit point \(\displaystyle x_1=0\) and \(\displaystyle x_2=7\)
rotate on y-axe:
\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_a^bf(x)dx\)
so we get \(\displaystyle 2\pi[\frac{7x^2}{2}-\frac{x^3}{3}]_0^7\) \(\displaystyle V_y=\frac{2\pi*343}{6}\)
rotate on x axe:
\(\displaystyle \pi\int_a^bf(x)^2dx\)
so we start with:\(\displaystyle (7x-x^2)^2=49x^2-14x^3+x^4\) so we get \(\displaystyle [\frac{49x^3}{3}-\frac{14x^4}{4}+\frac{x^5}{5}]_0^7\) that means \(\displaystyle V_x=\frac{16087\pi}{30}\) What I am doing wrong?

(Sorry for bad english.)

Physics news on Phys.org
First , why do you think you are doing something wrong ?

I was going to ask the same thing...are you expecting you should get the same volume with a different axis of rotation? This in only true with the axes you are given for a particular family of parabolas, and this one is not in that family. See this topic:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f35/problem-week-37-december-10th-2012-a-2714/

I believe that problem was inspired by a problem I helped you with in the past. :cool:

Your formula for the shell method (revolving about the $y$-axis) is missing the radius of the shell. Your other formula for the disk method (revolving about the $x$-axis) is correct.

MarkFL said:
I was going to ask the same thing...are you expecting you should get the same volume with a different axis of rotation? This in only true with the axes you are given for a particular family of parabolas, and this one is not in that family. See this topic:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f35/problem-week-37-december-10th-2012-a-2714/

I believe that problem was inspired by a problem I helped you with in the past. :cool:

Your formula for the shell method (revolving about the $y$-axis) is missing the radius of the shell. Your other formula for the disk method (revolving about the $x$-axis) is correct.
Well its a programe we put our answer on so we see if we get correct or wrong:P what do you mean missing the radius of the shell?

Petrus said:
...what do you mean missing the radius of the shell?

The volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle h=f(x)\)

You also need to write $r$ in terms of $x$. Do you see how your formula is missing the radius?

MarkFL said:
The volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle h=f(x)\)

You also need to write $r$ in terms of $x$. Do you see how your formula is missing the radius?
Yes I do, I did think wrong when I try use my brain(and some memory) for the formula. \(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_0^7x(7x-x^2)\) is this correct now?Edit: got correct answer! Thanks MarkFL and ZaidAylafey!:)

Last edited:

FAQ: Calc Volumes of Rotation Bodies | x-axis & 7x-x^2

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis?

The formula for calculating the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis is V = π ∫ (f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that represents the curve and π is the constant pi.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for calculating the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the x-coordinates of the points where the curve intersects the x-axis. These points will be the limits of integration for the formula V = π ∫ (f(x))^2 dx.

3. Can the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis be negative?

No, the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis cannot be negative. It represents the space enclosed by the curve and the x-axis, so it will always be a positive value.

4. How does the shape of the curve affect the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis?

The shape of the curve directly affects the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis. A larger curve will result in a larger volume, while a smaller or more concave curve will result in a smaller volume.

5. Can the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis be calculated for any type of curve?

Yes, the volume of rotation bodies around the x-axis can be calculated for any type of curve as long as it is a continuous function. This includes polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic curves.