Calculate a values given equation of state for gases

In summary, gases may have negative, positive, or zero a values based off of the number of atoms in a mole.
TehDarkArchon
Calculate "a" values given equation of state for gases

Homework Statement

For my equation of state:
Vm = (RT/P) - (a/T)
what kind of sign for the constant a (positive or
negative) do you think the following gases will have and why:
a. H2 b. He c. CH4 d. CO2
Hint: There is almost no math involved.

Homework Equations

Vm = (RT/P) - (a/T) (obviously, lol)
I'm thinking critical values also might play a role, but since my professor stated that nearly no math is involved, I'm thinking that the answers are mostly derived from the given equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea where to start with this. I know in the standard Van der Waal's equation that the a values represent the error intermolecular attractions, and that the values for hydrogen and helium are very small because they basically have no attraction. I'm guessing negative values would represent intermolecular repulsion...any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

TehDarkArchon said:

Homework Statement

For my equation of state:
Vm = (RT/P) - (a/T)
what kind of sign for the constant a (positive or
negative) do you think the following gases will have and why:
a. H2 b. He c. CH4 d. CO2
Hint: There is almost no math involved.

Homework Equations

Vm = (RT/P) - (a/T) (obviously, lol)
I'm thinking critical values also might play a role, but since my professor stated that nearly no math is involved, I'm thinking that the answers are mostly derived from the given equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea where to start with this. I know in the standard Van der Waal's equation that the a values represent the error intermolecular attractions, and that the values for hydrogen and helium are very small because they basically have no attraction. I'm guessing negative values would represent intermolecular repulsion...any help is appreciated

As an educated guess,

I think the answer should relate to the number of atoms in a mole.

where 2,1,5,3 respectfully

I think the answer is going to be something like CH4 and H2 are negative because they possesses essentially no dipoles (especially H2, since it has no intermolecular interactions as H+ ions, much less as inert H2) while He would be weakly positive due to possessing some Van der Waals force and CO2 would be high positive due to having strong dipoles. However, this isn't based off the equation at all, but maybe it's a leap in the right direction.

Related to Calculate a values given equation of state for gases

1. What is an equation of state for gases?

An equation of state for gases is a mathematical relationship that describes the physical properties of a gas, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. It is used to calculate the behavior of gases under different conditions.

2. How do you calculate the A values for gases using an equation of state?

The A values for gases can be calculated by solving the equation of state for A, which is typically done using a computer program or by hand using algebraic manipulation. The specific method will depend on the equation of state being used.

3. Can you provide an example of how to calculate A values using an equation of state?

Sure, one example is the Van der Waals equation of state, which can be written as (P + a/V^2)(V - b) = RT. To calculate the A value, the equation can be rearranged to solve for A: A = (P + a/V^2)(V - b)/RT. Plug in the known values for pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and the constants for a and b, and then solve for A.

4. What are the units for A values in equations of state for gases?

The units for A values will depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the specific equation of state being used. Typically, pressure is measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), and temperature in Kelvin (K).

5. How do A values affect the behavior of gases according to equations of state?

A values play a critical role in determining the behavior of gases according to equations of state. They represent the strength of intermolecular forces and the amount of space occupied by the gas particles. Higher A values indicate stronger intermolecular forces and smaller particle sizes, resulting in a more compressed gas at a given pressure and temperature.