Calculate $(ab,p^4)$: Prime Number Exercise

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise where the goal is to find the greatest common divisor of two numbers, one of which is a prime. It is determined that the greatest common divisor is equal to the prime raised to the third power, as the numbers have three factors of the prime in common.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:
I am given the following exercise:
If $p$ is a prime and $(a,p^2)=p$,$(b,p^3)=p^2$,find $(ab,p^4)$.

$p|a \Rightarrow a=k \cdot p , k\in \mathbb{Z}$
$p^2|b \Rightarrow b=l \cdot p^2 , l \in \mathbb{Z}$

Let $(ab,p^4)=d>1$,then $d$ will have a prime divisor, $q$
$q|d , d|ab \Rightarrow q|ab \Rightarrow q|a \text{ or } q|b$
Also, $d|p^4 \Rightarrow q|p^4 \Rightarrow q=p$

Is it right so far?And how can I continue??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hey! :eek:
I am given the following exercise:
If $p$ is a prime and $(a,p^2)=p$,$(b,p^3)=p^2$,find $(ab,p^4)$.

$p|a \Rightarrow a=k \cdot p , k\in \mathbb{Z}$
$p^2|b \Rightarrow b=l \cdot p^2 , l \in \mathbb{Z}$

Let $(ab,p^4)=d>1$,then $d$ will have a prime divisor, $q$
$q|d , d|ab \Rightarrow q|ab \Rightarrow q|a \text{ or } q|b$
Also, $d|p^4 \Rightarrow q|p^4 \Rightarrow q=p$

Is it right so far?And how can I continue??

Hi! :)

It is right so far.

But to get further, I would try to identify how many factors $p$ are contained in $a$ exactly.
And also how many factors $p$ there are in $b$.

How many factors $p$ does that make in $ab$?

I like Serena said:
Hi! :)

It is right so far.

But to get further, I would try to identify how many factors $p$ are contained in $a$ exactly.
And also how many factors $p$ there are in $b$.

How many factors $p$ does that make in $ab$?

In $a$, there is $1$ factor $p$,in $b$ there are $2$ factors $p$.So,in $ab$ there are $3$ factors $p$..What does this mean?? :confused: Or am I wrong??

evinda said:
In $a$, there is $1$ factor $p$,in $b$ there are $2$ factors $p$.So,in $ab$ there are $3$ factors $p$..What does this mean?? :confused: Or am I wrong??

That is exactly right. :D

It means that $ab$ has exactly 3 factors of the prime $p$ and possibly some other prime factors.
The consequence is that $\gcd(ab, p^4) = p^3$.

I like Serena said:
That is exactly right. :D

It means that $ab$ has exactly 3 factors of the prime $p$ and possibly some other prime factors.
The consequence is that $\gcd(ab, p^4) = p^3$.

I understand..thank you very much! :cool:

Related to Calculate $(ab,p^4)$: Prime Number Exercise

1. What is the purpose of the "Calculate $(ab,p^4)$: Prime Number Exercise"?

The purpose of this exercise is to practice calculating the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers, represented by $(ab,p^4)$, where a and b are integers and p is a prime number. This exercise is often used in mathematics and computer science courses to strengthen students' understanding of prime numbers and their properties.

2. How do I calculate the GCD of two numbers using $(ab,p^4)$?

To calculate the GCD of two numbers using $(ab,p^4)$, you first need to identify the prime factorization of each number. Then, you can use the formula $(ab,p^4) = p^{min(a,p^4)}$, where min(a,p^4) is the smaller exponent between a and p^4. Finally, you can simplify the expression to find the GCD.

3. What are the benefits of practicing this exercise?

Practicing this exercise can improve your problem-solving skills, strengthen your understanding of prime numbers and their properties, and prepare you for more complex mathematical concepts. It can also help you develop your critical thinking skills and improve your overall mathematical abilities.

4. Are there any tips for solving $(ab,p^4)$ problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving $(ab,p^4)$ problems more efficiently is to use a calculator or computer program to find the prime factorization of the numbers. This will save you time and reduce the chances of making mistakes. Additionally, it is helpful to review different strategies for finding the GCD, such as using the Euclidean algorithm.

5. Can this exercise be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, this exercise can be applied to real-world problems in various fields, such as cryptography, computer science, and data encryption. It can also be useful in everyday life, such as finding the common factors between two numbers or simplifying fractions. Understanding prime numbers and their properties is essential in many real-world applications.