Calculate Acceleration, Velocity and Force of a Piston

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of acceleration, velocity, and net force on a piston with a mass of 0.25kg and a stroke of 9cm at a speed of 4500 rev/min. The equations used are amax=-w2A, vmax=wA, and Fnetmax=mamax. The discrepancy in the book's answer may be due to a difference in amplitude calculations, as the amplitude should be half the difference between the high and low points.
Pseudopro

Homework Statement

Piston mass: 0.25kg
Stroke (distance between extreme positions): 9cm
4500rev min-1

(a)Calculate acceleration of piston at maximum displacement
(b)Calculate velocity as piston moves past its equilibrium point
(c)What is the net force exerted on the piston at maximum displacement

Homework Equations

amax=-w2A
vmax=wA
Fnetmax=mamax

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)amax=-(2[tex]\pi[/tex]4500/60)29[tex]\times[/tex]10-2
(b)similar to (a) using equation
(c)m times answer to (a)

The problem is that the book answer is consistently half my answers. I think this is because they used 4.5cm as their amplitude instead of 9cm. One stroke is 9cm and in one revolution, the piston needs to travel twice that distance, right? So shouldn't amplitude be 9cm?

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude is half the difference between the high and low.
In a water wave, the water goes up one amplitude, back down to the equilibrium, down one amplitude, then back up to equilibrium.

The piston does the same thing.

Thanks, that example makes it clear

Related to Calculate Acceleration, Velocity and Force of a Piston

1. How do I calculate acceleration of a piston?

The acceleration of a piston can be calculated using the formula a = (F - Fres)/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force applied to the piston, Fres is the resistance force, and m is the mass of the piston. This formula assumes that there are no external forces acting on the piston.

2. How do I calculate velocity of a piston?

The velocity of a piston can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is velocity, u is initial velocity (usually 0 for a stationary piston), a is acceleration, and t is time. Alternatively, if you know the distance the piston has traveled, you can use the formula v = √(2ad), where d is the distance and a is the acceleration.

3. How do I calculate force of a piston?

The force of a piston can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is the mass of the piston, and a is the acceleration. If you know the pressure inside the piston and the area of the piston head, you can also use the formula F = PA, where P is pressure and A is area.

4. What is the relationship between acceleration and force of a piston?

The relationship between acceleration and force of a piston is directly proportional. This means that as the force applied to the piston increases, the acceleration of the piston also increases. Similarly, if the force decreases, the acceleration will also decrease.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration, velocity, and force of a piston?

The acceleration, velocity, and force of a piston can be affected by several factors, such as the pressure inside the piston, the mass of the piston, the resistance forces, and the external forces acting on the piston. Additionally, the design and materials of the piston can also impact these values.