Calculate [Ag+] in Test Solution with Nernst Eq. (Chem 102 Lab)

• Thread starter loadsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Lab
In summary, the question asks for the [Ag+] concentration in a test solution. The attempted solution suggests that n=2 for the number of electrons being traded, and that [Ag+] should be 10^{1.013} greater than 10.
loadsy

Homework Statement

The question asks: Using the measured cell potential and the Nernst equation, calculate the [Ag+] in the test solution. However, you guys will need a little bit of background information to answer this question since it is a lab. First of all this reaction was:

Ag2CO3(s) <-> 2Ag+(aq) +CO3^2-(aq)

Also the Nernst equation we are using is the following:
Ecell = E^0cell -0.05916V/n logQcell

And, the Ecell potential that I calculated was 0.280V

2. The attempt at a solution

So I've made an attempt at this question, but I'm not too positive if I'm solving it correctly. From the reaction we know that n=1 (1 electron being transferred between the reactants and products). Therefore:

0.280V = 0.800V-0.468V(Standard potentials off CDS)- 0.05916V/1 log[Ag+]^2
0.280V = 0.332V-0.5916V log[Ag+]^2
1.026 = log[Ag+]^2
1.013 = log[Ag+]
[Ag+] 0.00562 = 5.63X10^-3 mol/L

However, I'm not too positive if this is correct or if I should be looking in the Chemistry Data Sheet for the standard potentials of the cathode and anode. Thanks for any help guys. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, here n will be 2 since the total number of electrons traded is 2. Your calculation looks wrong. If 1.013=log[Ag+], then [Ag+] should be [tex]10^{1.013}[/tex] which should be greater than 10, not smaller.

Last edited:
Ahhh okay, yeah I'm not sure why I said 1, it clearly is n=2 for the number of electrons being traded. That makes a bit more sense. Thank you for your help.

My only other question is whether or not I got the standard cell potentials right from the chemistry data sheet. Because I know that the cathode is Ag in this case, so looking on the CDS, we find it is 0.800V and then the anode I said was from the equation Ag2CO3(s) + 2e^- -> 2Ag(s) + CO3^2- which is 0.468. I'm assuming those are correct for this case, and that it's just an error in my calculation. Thanks again though.

Related to Calculate [Ag+] in Test Solution with Nernst Eq. (Chem 102 Lab)

What is the purpose of calculating [Ag+] in Test Solution with Nernst Eq.?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the concentration of silver ions in a test solution using the Nernst equation. This can help in determining the purity or composition of the solution, as well as in predicting the behavior of the solution in different conditions.

What is the Nernst equation and how is it used?

The Nernst equation is a mathematical formula that relates the concentration of ions in a solution to the electrical potential of the solution. It is commonly used in electrochemistry and can be used to calculate the equilibrium potential of a cell or to determine the concentration of a particular ion in a solution.

What are the components needed to calculate [Ag+] using Nernst Eq.?

The components needed to calculate [Ag+] using the Nernst equation are the concentration of silver ions in the test solution, the standard electrode potential of the silver electrode, the temperature of the solution, and the number of electrons involved in the reaction.

What are the units of the Nernst equation?

The units of the Nernst equation depend on the units used for the different components. Typically, the concentration is measured in moles per liter (M), the standard electrode potential in volts (V), and the temperature in Kelvin (K). The final result will have units of volts.

What are some potential sources of error when calculating [Ag+] using Nernst Eq.?

Potential sources of error when calculating [Ag+] using the Nernst equation include inaccurate measurements of the concentration or temperature, deviations from ideal behavior, and changes in the experimental conditions during the measurement. It is important to carefully calibrate and control all variables to minimize these errors.