Calculate angle between spacecraft & Sun vectors

Kovac
Homework Statement
Compute angle between space craft & sun vector
Relevant Equations
Hi, so I have no clue how to solve this problem but I started off by rewriting the issue as a dot product to find the angle. So;

cos(θ)= RSC⋅RSun / ∣RSC∣⋅∣RSun∣

Where Rsc = space crafts position vector.
Rsun is the Suns position vector.
∣RSC∣ is the length of the spacecrafts position vector.
∣RSun∣ is the length of the Suns position vector.

So in order to get the angle I planned to take arccosine.
But how do I get Rsun?

Is this a correct approach?
Am I doing something wrong or maybe theres a better approach to the problem?

sun_angle_task.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

It looks to me that you'll have to find the vector between the Earth's center and the Sun for the Julian date given (JD = 2460157.5). Perhaps your book will have a procedure to find this?

By the way, what is the book you're studying?

Kovac said:
Hi, so I have no clue how to solve this problem but I started off by rewriting the issue as a dot product to find the angle. So;

cos(θ)= RSC⋅RSun / ∣RSC∣⋅∣RSun∣

Where Rsc = space crafts position vector.
Rsun is the Suns position vector.
∣RSC∣ is the length of the spacecrafts position vector.
∣RSun∣ is the length of the Suns position vector.

So in order to get the angle I planned to take arccosine.
But how do I get Rsun?

Is this a correct approach?
Hi. Not my area but I'd say it's a (the?) correct approach.

A search for "find sun's ECI coordinates from Julian date epoch" gives some potentially useful results.

Related to Calculate angle between spacecraft & Sun vectors

1. What is the formula to calculate the angle between the spacecraft and Sun vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = arccos((A • B) / (|A| |B|)), where A and B are the vectors, • denotes the dot product, and |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of vectors A and B, respectively.

2. What units should be used for the vector components when calculating the angle?

The vector components should be in the same units, typically meters or kilometers, to ensure consistency. The resulting angle will be in radians, which can be converted to degrees if needed.

3. How do I convert the angle from radians to degrees?

To convert an angle from radians to degrees, you can use the formula: degrees = radians × (180/π).

4. What are the common sources of error when calculating the angle between spacecraft and Sun vectors?

Common sources of error include incorrect vector normalization, numerical precision issues, and incorrect application of the dot product formula. Ensuring accurate and precise vector measurements is crucial.

5. Can the angle between the spacecraft and Sun vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always between 0 and 180 degrees (or 0 and π radians). If you obtain a negative value, it indicates an error in the calculation process.