Calculate Angle C with Tail-Tip Method

• Thread starter Confused one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the person is trying to solve for angle C in a triangle formed by vectors 1, 2, and their resultant. They don't know how to get angle C and are asking for help.
Confused one
I have 2 vectors, which are plotted using the tail-tip method to form a non-right triangle.

Side A is vector 1, side B is vector 2, and side C is my resultant.
I know I can get angle C, but that's where I'm stuck.

How do you get angle C? In simple terms...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit confusing to talk about "side C" and "angle C"! Standard notation is that the lengths of the three sides of the triangle are a, b, c and the angles opposite each are A, B, C respectively. If you know a, b, c, then use the cosine law to find C: c2= a2[/sup]+ b2- 2ab cos(C). Plug in a, b, c and solve for C.

I don't have c. I have a, b, and their degrees, but no c. I don't have A or B either.

I'm trying to sove for C, but I must have c before I can use the law of cosines.

how about law of sins

sin A / a = sin B / b = sin C / c

You orginally said "Side A is vector 1, side B is vector 2, and side C is my resultant" so it was reasonable to assume that you knew those 3 lengths. In vector problems, normally you know two vectors, say lengths a and b, and the angle between them, but that would be C which you say you don't know. If lengths a and b are the only values you have, you can't solve this: two parts of a triangle are not enough! What information do you have?

You have to understand that the resultant vector components are the sum of the adding vectors. Add the vertical component of the vector A to the vertical component of vector B. Then add the horizontal component of the vector A to horizontal component of vector B. Then you have the components of vector C and the magnitude of C = ((Ay + By)^2 + (Ax + Bx)^2)^1/2

Werg22 said:
You have to understand that the resultant vector components are the sum of the adding vectors. Add the vertical component of the vector A to the vertical component of vector B. Then add the horizontal component of the vector A to horizontal component of vector B. Then you have the components of vector C and the magnitude of C = ((Ay + By)^2 + (Ax + Bx)^2)^1/2

That's one way to do it. It may or may not be simpler than adding the vectors "geometrically". The question "Confused one" initially asked made it clear, I thought, that he was attempting to do this geometrically. I sure wish he would get back to us and tell us exactly what information he has to work with. I would have suggested that he find angle C by just subtracting the angles the the vectors make with some fixed line, but surely he wouldn't be having so much trouble if he were given the vectors like that.

Related to Calculate Angle C with Tail-Tip Method

1. What is the Tail-Tip Method for calculating angles?

The Tail-Tip Method is a mathematical approach for finding the measure of an angle in a triangle. It involves using the lengths of two sides of the triangle and the distance from the vertex to the opposite side (known as the tail) to calculate the angle using the law of cosines.

2. How do you use the Tail-Tip Method to calculate angle C?

To use the Tail-Tip Method, you will need to measure the lengths of two sides of the triangle (a and b), and the distance from the vertex to the opposite side (known as the tail). Then, you can plug these values into the formula: cos C = (a² + b² - tail²) / (2ab). Finally, take the inverse cosine of this value to find the measure of angle C.

3. Can you use the Tail-Tip Method for any type of triangle?

Yes, the Tail-Tip Method can be used for any type of triangle, including right triangles, acute triangles, and obtuse triangles. As long as you have the necessary measurements, you can use this method to find the measure of any angle in a triangle.

4. What are some advantages of using the Tail-Tip Method?

The Tail-Tip Method allows you to find the measure of an angle in a triangle without needing to know all three angles or using a protractor. This method also works for any type of triangle and involves simple calculations using basic trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Tail-Tip Method?

The Tail-Tip Method may not be the most accurate method for finding the measure of an angle in a triangle, as it relies on measurements that may not be exact. Additionally, this method may be more complex for certain types of triangles, such as when the angle being calculated is the right angle.

Back