Calculate area with double integral.

In summary: However, because $r$ is negative, this part of the curve is actually pointing in the opposite direction to the direction in which $\theta$ is increasing. So as $\theta$ goes from $\pi/6$ to $\pi/3$, the point on the curve is going around "the bottom half of the rose" in the opposite direction to the direction in which $\theta$ is going. This means that the part of the curve traced out in this interval actually cancels out the part of the curve traced out in the interval $\pi/3$ to $\pi/2$, and so the total area is only the area of a single petal, which is $\pi$ radians. In summary, the area of the region bounded
MacLaddy1
Hello all,

I haven't been on here for a while. I'm glad to see that everything is picking up nicely.
Anyway, I have a question that I see the answer to, but I am not understanding the concept.

Find the area of the region bounded by all leaves of the rose \(r=2\cos(3\theta)\)

The thing I am having a hard time grasping is the region of integration wrt \(\theta\). It appears that it is going from \(0\) to \(\pi\), but it seems to me that it should be \(0\) to \(2\pi\). However, that isn't correct.

Can anyone explain to me why the entire bottom half of the rose isn't included in the integration?

Thanks much,
Mac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It only takes $\displaystyle \pi$ radians to make a complete circuit.

I would use symmetry and multiply the integral by 6 and integrate from 0 to $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6}$ (over 1/2 a petal).

MarkFL said:
It only takes $\displaystyle \pi$ radians to make a complete circuit.

I would use symmetry and multiply the integral by 6 and integrate from 0 to $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6}$ (over 1/2 a petal).

Note that I made a mistake in the original problem. It should be \(r=2\cos(3\theta)\), not \(r=\cos(3\theta)\). I have made the correction.

I still don't think I understand. If the region of integration starts at the origin, and heads out r, then proceeds to sweep around the full angle, then it should be 2pi.

There is a concept here I am failing to grasp.

Your revision doesn't affect anything conceptually. It will quadruple the area though.

Trace your way around the rose. You will find it only takes $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6}$ radians to travel from the tip of a petal to the origin, or $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{3}$ radians to travel all the way around a petal. There are 3 petals, so it only takes $\displaystyle \pi$ radians to travel all the way around the rose 1 time.

MarkFL said:
Your revision doesn't affect anything conceptually. It will quadruple the area though.

Trace your way around the rose. You will find it only takes $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6}$ radians to travel from the tip of a petal to the origin, or $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{3}$ radians to travel all the way around a petal. There are 3 petals, so it only takes $\displaystyle \pi$ radians to travel all the way around the rose 1 time.

Oh, well then. That's simple. For some reason I thought the equation would automatically account for the "vacant" areas, but I guess not.

Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

Mac

MacLaddy said:
Find the area of the region bounded by all leaves of the rose \(r=2\cos(3\theta)\)

The thing I am having a hard time grasping is the region of integration wrt \(\theta\). It appears that it is going from \(0\) to \(\pi\), but it seems to me that it should be \(0\) to \(2\pi\). However, that isn't correct.

Can anyone explain to me why the entire bottom half of the rose isn't included in the integration?
The point is that for values of $\theta$ where $\cos(3\theta)$ is negative, $r$ is also negative. In that case, the corresponding point on the curve will be on the opposite side of the origin to the direction in which $\theta$ is pointing. For example, as $\theta$ goes from $\pi/6$ to $\pi/2$, the value of $r=2\cos(3\theta)$ goes from 0 to $-2$ and then back to 0, and the curve will trace out one of the petals in "the bottom half of the rose".

Related to Calculate area with double integral.

1. How is a double integral used to calculate area?

A double integral is a mathematical tool used to find the area under a surface or a curve in two dimensions. It involves dividing the region of interest into small rectangles and adding up the areas of those rectangles. As the size of the rectangles decreases, the accuracy of the calculation increases.

2. What is the formula for calculating area using a double integral?

The formula for calculating area using a double integral is ∬D f(x,y)dA, where D represents the region of interest, f(x,y) is the function that defines the surface or curve, and dA represents the area element. This formula can be generalized to calculate the area under any continuous function in two dimensions.

3. Can a double integral be used to find the area of irregular shapes?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find the area of irregular shapes as long as the boundaries of the shape can be defined by a mathematical function. By dividing the shape into smaller rectangles and using the double integral formula, the area can be accurately calculated.

4. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral when calculating area?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to find the area under a surface or a curve in two dimensions. A single integral has one variable of integration, while a double integral has two variables of integration.

5. Are there any limitations to using a double integral to calculate area?

One limitation of using a double integral to calculate area is that it can only be used for continuous functions. If the function is not continuous, the calculation will not be accurate. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the size of the rectangles used, so choosing an appropriate size is important for obtaining an accurate result.