Calculate Average Acceleration of Rocket: 2.6s, 80m

In summary, a rocket blasts off and moves straight upward from the launch pad with constant acceleration. After 2.6 s the rocket is at a height of 80.0 m. According to the given information, the acceleration of the rocket is 11.834 m/s^2 and its speed at this time is 30.769 m/s. To solve this problem, one can use the kinematic equations and create a table with initial velocity, final velocity, average velocity, displacement, acceleration, and time. By filling in the known values and using basic equations, the correct answer can be achieved. Additionally, it is important to understand the difference between velocity and speed in physics.
XPX1
A rocket blasts off and moves straight upward from the launch pad with constant acceleration. After 2.6 s the rocket is at a height of 80.0 m.
(a) What is the acceleration of the rocket?
______m/s2
(b) What is its speed at this time?
______m/s

Hello, I have been stumped on this question all day. I have no clue on how to do this problem, I have tried 80/2.6/2.6 to get the average acceleration squared, but that was not the correct answer. Can anybody please explain how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
When it comes to physics, I am completely lost in general. According to the equations I followed.. The answer should be 11.834 m/s^2 because I plugged the velocity I found into the acceleration equation.

Show what you did. What velocity did you find and how did you find it?

What I did,

I took 80 m/s which is supposedly the final velocity, and divided it by 2.6, which gave me 30.76923077. I divided it again by 2.6 because the final answer is in m/s^2. which gave me 11.83431953. 11.83431953*2.6^2=80. I still don't see where I am going wrong here

maybe this will help?

Here's something a little different to try- make a table with
initial velocity, final velocity, average velocity, displacement, acceleration, and time.

For your problem, start filling in what's known; here's an example using different (but similar in magnitude) numbers: "After 3.0 seconds, the rocket is at an altitude of 90 meters"

initial velocity = 0 m/s
final velocity = ?
average velocity = ?
displacement = 90 m
acceleration = ?
time = 3.0 seconds

Looking at these, the average velocity must be 90m/3.0s = 30 m/s
Fill it in...
initial velocity = 0 m/s
final velocity = ?
average velocity = 30m/s
displacement = 90 m
acceleration = ?
time = 3.0 seconds

Now, since you have an average velocity and initial velocity, you can find the final velocity, since (vi + vf)/2 = v.avg
Final velocity must be 60m/s. Fill it in.

initial velocity = 0 m/s
final velocity = 60m/s
average velocity = 30m/s
displacement = 90 m
acceleration = ?
time = 3.0 seconds

Now, since the rocket accelerated from 0m/s to 60m/s in 3.0 seconds, the velocity changed by 60 m/s in 3.0 seconds, or it changed at a rate of 20m/s per s. Fill it in, done. :)

I recognize the usefulness of using x = x0 + vot + 1/2at^2, but until you understand what's going on, sometimes it might help you to learn the concepts by using the more basic equations. The only time the vvvdat table will fail you is if you need to use v^2=vo^2 + 2ad

XPX1 said:
What I did,

I took 80 m/s which is supposedly the final velocity, and divided it by 2.6, which gave me 30.76923077. I divided it again by 2.6 because the final answer is in m/s^2. which gave me 11.83431953. 11.83431953*2.6^2=80. I still don't see where I am going wrong here
Why do you think 80 m/s is the final velocity? Study drpizza's post and you'll see how to find the average and final velocity.

Wow, I got it correct! And thank you sooo much for the tip on using more basic equations like that, it is starting to make ALOT more sense!

One last question, it asks me to find the speed at this time. The speed equation Speed = Distance / Time, but isn't the distance 80m? I tried 80/2.6 = 30.769 but that did not work out, where am I going wrong?

****bump****

XPX1 said:
The speed equation Speed = Distance / Time, but isn't the distance 80m?
That equation tells you the average speed. You need the final speed. (Reread drpizza's post to see the difference.)

You might want to closely read the question again. See if that helps you at all.

Ah! So Velocity = speed, I guess you can tell by now how lost I am in physics. I got the answer correct, thank you.

Velocity does not equal speed. Velocity has direction, while speed does not. A ball thrown up in the air will return to your hand with the same speed, but the opposite velocity. Speed is a velocity's magninude.

Related to Calculate Average Acceleration of Rocket: 2.6s, 80m

1. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for calculating average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How do I determine the initial and final velocities of a rocket?

The initial velocity of a rocket can be determined by measuring its speed at the start of the time interval. The final velocity can be determined by measuring its speed at the end of the time interval. Alternatively, if the rocket's displacement and time interval are known, the initial and final velocities can be calculated using the formula v = d / t, where v is the velocity, d is the displacement, and t is the time interval.

3. How do I calculate the displacement of a rocket?

To calculate the displacement of a rocket, you need to know its initial and final positions. The displacement is the difference between these two positions, and can be determined by subtracting the initial position from the final position. Alternatively, if the rocket's average velocity and time interval are known, the displacement can be calculated using the formula d = v * t, where d is the displacement, v is the average velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. How do I convert the time interval to seconds?

The time interval given in the question, 2.6s, is already in seconds. However, if the time interval is given in minutes, hours, or any other unit of time, it can be converted to seconds by multiplying it by the appropriate conversion factor. For example, to convert minutes to seconds, you would multiply the given time interval by 60.

5. Can I use the formula for average acceleration to calculate the acceleration of any object?

Yes, the formula a = (vf - vi) / t can be used to calculate the average acceleration of any object, as long as the initial and final velocities and time interval are known. It is important to note that this formula only gives the average acceleration over the entire time interval, and the object's acceleration may vary during that time. To calculate the instantaneous acceleration at a specific moment, you would need to use calculus.