Calculate binding energy & compare to Electrostatic Repulsion

However, I am not sure why they didn't use the equation where the r value is squared in the denominator as this would give the same units of Joules.In summary, the problem statement is asking for the electrostatic energy of a 4He2 nucleus with a size of ~ 2 x 10^-15 m and a mass of 4.0015u. The correct formula for this calculation is W = (1/4πε0)(q1q2)/r, which results in a binding energy of 2.3 x 10^-13 J. While the equation used in the notes, W = (1/4πε0)(q1q2)/r^2, also results in
ZedCar

Homework Statement

4He2 has size of ~ 2 x 10^-15 m and a mass of 4.0015u. Calculate the binding energy of this nucleus, and compare it to the electrostatic repulsion of its constituents.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I have calculated B.E. = 4.5 x 10^-12 J This agrees with my notes.

For the second part do I use the equation E = (q1 x q2) / [4∏(ε0)r^2]

Which would be;

(1.6 x 10^-19)^2 / [4∏ x 8.85 x 10^-12 x (1 x 10^-15)^2]

= 230 J

The reason I ask is because in the notes I have the r = 1 x 10^-15 value is not squared in the same calculation therefore giving an answer of 2.3 x 10^-13 J.

So I wasn't sure which is correct. Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:

Homework Statement

4He2 has size of ~ 2 x 10^-15 m and a mass of 4.0015u. Calculate the binding energy of this nucleus, and compare it to the electrostatic repulsion of its constituents.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I have calculated B.E. = 4.5 x 10^-12 J This agrees with my notes.

For the second part do I use the equation E = (q1 x q2) / [4∏(ε0)r^2]
Something is not right with that. If E is supposed to represent energy, you have a extra r in the equation. If E is supposed to represent electric field, you have an extra q in the equation. If the right side of the equation is correct, the left hand side is a measure of force.
Which would be;

(1.6 x 10^-19)^2 / [4∏ x 8.85 x 10^-12 x (1 x 10^-15)^2]

= 230 J
Okay, if you are trying to calculate energy, you haven't used the correct formula (see above).
The reason I ask is because in the notes I have the r = 1 x 10^-15 value is not squared in the same calculation therefore giving an answer of 2.3 x 10^-13 J.
There are different formulas for force and energy. (see below)
So I wasn't sure which is correct. Thanks for any advice!
The force magnitude between two charges is

[tex] F = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2} [/tex]

The units are of course units of force such as Newtons (not Joules).

Invoking the definition of work, [itex] dW = \vec F \cdot \vec{ds} [/itex] (in part), we can calculate the electric potential energy. The electric potential energy is the energy that it takes for one charge brought from infinity to some radius, r away from some other charge. (I'll call this energy W):

[tex] W = -\int_{-\infty}^r \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^{'2}} dr^' = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{q_1 q_2}{r}[/tex]

Note that the r in the denominator is not squared after the integration. W here has units of energy, such as joules.

So is the problem statement asking for electrostatic energy or force?

collinsmark said:
So is the problem statement asking for electrostatic energy or force?

Thanks very much collinsmark.

The units of the answer given in my notes has units of Joules. So the question would appear to be asking for electrostatic energy.

So the equation they have used appears to be correct.

FAQ: Calculate binding energy & compare to Electrostatic Repulsion

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to keep a nucleus together. It is the difference between the mass of the individual particles that make up the nucleus and the mass of the nucleus itself.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated using the famous equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. By plugging in the mass difference between the individual particles and the nucleus, we can determine the binding energy.

3. What is electrostatic repulsion?

Electrostatic repulsion is the force that causes like-charged particles to repel each other. This force becomes significant when particles are close together, such as in a nucleus, and can overcome the strong nuclear force that keeps the nucleus together.

4. How does binding energy compare to electrostatic repulsion?

Binding energy is the force that keeps the nucleus together, while electrostatic repulsion is the force that wants to push the particles apart. In a stable nucleus, the binding energy is greater than the electrostatic repulsion, ensuring that the nucleus remains intact.

5. Why is it important to compare binding energy to electrostatic repulsion?

Comparing binding energy to electrostatic repulsion allows us to understand the stability of a nucleus. If the binding energy is significantly greater than the electrostatic repulsion, the nucleus is stable. However, if the electrostatic repulsion is greater, the nucleus may be unstable and could undergo radioactive decay.

Back