Calculate CFM on Hydrogen Vent Pipe

In summary, the conversation is about a large hydrogen storage tank that vents when the pressure reaches 150 PSI and the person is trying to calculate how much hydrogen is lost during the venting process. The tank holds 2 million cubic feet of hydrogen and is outdoors with an ambient temperature ranging from -10F to 100F. The tank has a 2 inch vent line that lasts for 2-5 minutes and is replenished by truck delivery. The set pressure point for the vent valve is 150 PSI and the pressure rating of the tank is unknown. The person is curious about the amount of hydrogen lost each time the tank vents and is seeking clarification on the tank capacity. They want to know if the 2 million cubic feet measurement
Chad Pulliam
I have a large hydrogen storage tank that vents when the pressure exceeds 150 PSI. I am trying to get a rough calculation of how much hydrogen we are losing. I know it is a 2 inch pipe and the pressure drops from 150 PSI to 120PSI. The venting lasts between 2 and 5 minutes. How do I calculate how much hydrogen I am losing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chad Pulliam said:
I have a large hydrogen storage tank that vents when the pressure exceeds 150 PSI. I am trying to get a rough calculation of how much hydrogen we are losing. I know it is a 2 inch pipe and the pressure drops from 150 PSI to 120PSI. The venting lasts between 2 and 5 minutes. How do I calculate how much hydrogen I am losing?
1. How big is your storage tank?
2. What sort of ambient temperature is present when the tank vents?
3. How much 2-inch pipe is there from the tank to atmosphere? Are there any fittings (valves, filters, elbows, tees, etc.) in this vent line?
4. After the tank vents, how is the hydrogen replenished?
5. What is the set pressure point on the vent valve?
6. What's the pressure rating of the tank?

1. Tank holds 2 million cubic feet of hydrogen
2. Tank is outdoors so ambient can be any temperature in this area ( -10F to 100F )
3. 20 ft of pipe straight up with a 90 as it comes out of the tank and a vent valve.
4. Truck delivery
5. 150 PSI
6. Not sure of the pressure rating but approved for storage of liquid hydrogen.

Thanks for your help

At what pressure are these 2 million cubic feet? Atmospheric?
And the tank can hold them at 150 PSI?

The hydrogen is stored as liquid similar to a liquid propane tank with vapor that builds on the top.
The vapor in the tank is allowed to reach 150 PSI before venting.
I am curious how many cubic feet we lose each time the tank vents.
2 inch vent line for 2-5 minutes.

Chad Pulliam said:
1. Tank holds 2 million cubic feet of hydrogen
2. Tank is outdoors so ambient can be any temperature in this area ( -10F to 100F )
3. 20 ft of pipe straight up with a 90 as it comes out of the tank and a vent valve.
4. Truck delivery
5. 150 PSI
6. Not sure of the pressure rating but approved for storage of liquid hydrogen.

Thanks for your help
I need some clarification on the tank capacity:

Is this 2 million ft3 of hydrogen measured at STP? Does the tank have an actual volume of 2 million ft3 or some other value?
If some other value, then please provide the actual interior volume of the tank.

FAQ: Calculate CFM on Hydrogen Vent Pipe

1. What is CFM and why is it important for calculating hydrogen vent pipe?

CFM stands for cubic feet per minute and is a unit of measurement for the flow rate of gas. It is important for calculating hydrogen vent pipe because it helps determine the appropriate size of the pipe needed to safely and efficiently vent the hydrogen gas.

2. How do you calculate the CFM on a hydrogen vent pipe?

To calculate the CFM on a hydrogen vent pipe, you will need to know the pressure, temperature, and volume of the gas being vented. You can then use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the CFM.

3. What factors can affect the CFM on a hydrogen vent pipe?

The CFM on a hydrogen vent pipe can be affected by several factors including pressure, temperature, flow rate, and the size and length of the pipe. It is important to take these factors into account when calculating the CFM to ensure the safe and efficient venting of hydrogen gas.

4. How does the CFM on a hydrogen vent pipe differ from other types of gases?

The CFM on a hydrogen vent pipe may differ from other types of gases due to its unique properties. Hydrogen gas is highly flammable and has a low molecular weight, which means it requires a larger volume of gas to produce the same amount of pressure as other gases. This means that the CFM for hydrogen gas may be higher compared to other gases.

5. Is there a standard CFM requirement for hydrogen vent pipes?

There is no standard CFM requirement for hydrogen vent pipes as it will vary depending on the specific application and safety regulations. It is important to consult with industry standards and safety guidelines to determine the appropriate CFM for your hydrogen vent pipe.

Back