Calculate closed curve integral

In summary, The integral can be evaluated by finding a primitive function F for f(z) = 12z2 - 4iz and using the theorem ∫ f(z)dz = Fz1 - Fz0 for a curve C connecting the points (1,1) and (2,3).
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Calculate ∫C [itex]\frac{dz}{z(z+a)}[/itex] where C is the unit disk Δ(1) with counterclockwise orientation where a is a complex number with |a| < 1.

Homework Equations

L [itex]\frac{dz}{(z-p)}[/itex]= 2πiν(L,p)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using partial fraction decomposition,

C [itex]\frac{dz}{z(z+a)}[/itex] = ∫C[itex]\frac{-1/a}{z} + \frac{1/a}{(z+a)}[/itex] = (-1/a)2πi + (1/a)2πi = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Calculate ∫C [itex]\frac{dz}{z(z+a)}[/itex] where C is the unit disk Δ(1) with counterclockwise orientation where a is a complex number with |a| < 1.

Homework Equations

L [itex]\frac{dz}{(z-p)}[/itex]= 2πiν(L,p)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using partial fraction decomposition,

C [itex]\frac{dz}{z(z+a)}[/itex] = ∫C[itex]\frac{-1/a}{z} + \frac{1/a}{(z+a)}[/itex] = (-1/a)2πi + (1/a)2πi = 0

Well, I think you an overall negative sign wrong in your partial fraction decomposition, but that doesn't matter since the answer is zero anyway. Yes, that's a fine way to do it. Assuming ##\nu## is winding number?

Dick said:
Well, I think you an overall negative sign wrong in your partial fraction decomposition, but that doesn't matter since the answer is zero anyway. Yes, that's a fine way to do it. Assuming ##\nu## is winding number?

Yes, it's the winding number. I forgot to mention that. Generally, an integral wouldn't vanish because it contains the origin, correct? This is just a special case that happens to vanish?

Shackleford said:
Yes, it's the winding number. I forgot to mention that. Generally, an integral wouldn't vanish because it contains the origin, correct? This is just a special case that happens to vanish?

The integral of ##1/z^2## or ##z## vanishes when you integrate around the origin. So that's not a valid general rule. In this case you have two poles inside the contour and they cancel. Isn't that what the calculation is telling you?

Dick said:
The integral of ##1/z## doesn't vanish when you integrate around the origin. In this case you have two poles inside the contour and they cancel. Isn't that what the calculation is telling you?

The complex inversion's analyticity is destroyed by the origin so that it doesn't vanish, and the two poles are at z=0 and z=a. Apparently, that's what it's telling me, yes. Heh.

Shackleford said:
The complex inversion's analyticity is destroyed by the origin so that it doesn't vanish, and the two poles are at z=0 and z=a. Apparently, that's what it's telling me, yes. Heh.
Isn't the second pole at z = -a?

SteamKing said:
Isn't the second pole at z = -a?
Yes, that was probably a typo. The poles are at 0 and -a.

Yes, of course, I apologize for my oversight. Your previous comment about an incorrect negative sign makes sense how. Heh. Thanks again for the help.

If C is the curve y = x3-3x2+4x-1 joining points (1,1) and (2,3), find the value of ∫ (12z2-4iz)dz.

(Hint: First show that the integral is independent of path by Cauchy integral theorem, and then choose a special curve to evaluate the integral)

Lemma: Every curve C(φ: [0,1]→D) is homotopic to a piecewise linear curve in D.

Therefore, it is homotopic to the straight line curve connecting (1,1) and (2,3). By the Independence Theorem and Cauchy Integral Theorem, the integrals are equal. I can parametrize the line connecting the points by z(t) = 1 + i + t(1+2i) and insert this into f(z) to get the monstrosity f(z(t)). There has to be a better way of finding the integral.

Theorem: Let f be a continuous function on D and let F a primitive function of f. Let C = C(φ:[T0,T1→ℂ) be a curve with finite length with the initial point z0 and the terminal point z1. Then ∫ f(z)dz = Fz1 - Fz0.

So I don't need to go through the rigmarole of finding f(z(t)) and df(z(t))/dt, etc. I can simply integrate with respect to z.

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculate closed curve integral

1. What is a closed curve integral?

A closed curve integral is the calculation of the total value of a function along a closed curve, which is a continuous path that starts and ends at the same point. It is also known as a line integral or contour integral.

2. How is a closed curve integral calculated?

To calculate a closed curve integral, you must first define the function and the closed curve. Then, you can use various methods such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Green's Theorem, or Stokes' Theorem to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a closed curve integral?

The purpose of calculating a closed curve integral is to determine the total value or area of a function over a specific closed curve. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving motion, work, and other physical quantities.

4. Can a closed curve integral be negative?

Yes, a closed curve integral can be negative. This occurs when the function being integrated has a negative value over certain parts of the closed curve. The total value of the integral will be the sum of all positive and negative values, and the result can be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of closed curve integrals?

Closed curve integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object moving along a closed path, determining the flow of a fluid around a closed boundary, and finding the average value of a function over a specific region. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing to calculate the area of a shape or the path of a moving object.

Back