Calculate CO2 for Water Equilibrium at pH 7.2

In summary, a water treatment problem asks for the equilibrium of carbonic acid and water. The problem statement says that the pH of the solution is 7.2, but if the initial pH is 7.2, then the solution must be added acid, not removed, in order to reach equilibrium. After doing some research, it was found that the pH of the solution is around 6.8, not 7.2. The final concentration of carbonic acid is then calculated by multiplying the initial concentration by 0.178.
alex5d1
Hi,
I must calculate how much CO2 has to be removed from the water (pHs=7.2) to obtain equilibrium

Given concentrations:
HCO3-: 223 mg/L
CO2: 60 mg/L
pH: unknown
SI: unknown

What is meant by equilibrium? (ph=7?) Please advise how to tackle this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
There are missing parameters: temperature, pressure, other solutes. Check the problem statement and see if isn't referring you to something previously mentioned.

My bet is that they want you to assume concentration of CO2 is equivalent to the concentration of H2CO3. Then it is just a matter of treating the solution as a buffer, finding the required final concentration of carbonic acid, and comparing it with the initial (60 mg/L) CO2 concentration.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is a water treatment problem. Temperature is 12C.
What formula is applicable?

Acid dissociation constant definition, or Henderson-Hasselbalch equation (which is actually the same, just rearranged to a more convenient form).

Well, after some research I came up with this, what do you think?

pHs = 7.2 = equilibrium of CO2 (= H2CO3 ) and HCO3-

pHs = pK1 – log ([CO2] / [HCO3-])

pK1 = 6.45 @12C

log ([CO2] / [HCO3-]) = -0.750

log ([CO2] / [HCO3-]) = 0.178

[HCO3-] = 223/61 = 3.656 mol/L

[CO2] = 0.178 * 3.656 = 0.650 mol/L

CO2 = 0.650 * 44 = 28.6 mg/L

We need to remove 60 – 28.6 = 31.4 mg/L

Actually I did a mistake reading the original question, and it doesn't make sense to me now. Sorry about that. I missed the part about initial pH being 7.2. If teh initial pH is 7.2 and you are asked to change the pH of the solution to 7.0, you have to ADD acid, not remove it from the solution.

However, if you use concentrations given to calculate pH (which I did) you will find that pH of the initial solution is around 6.8, not 7.2.

alex5d1 said:
log ([CO2] / [HCO3-]) = 0.178

Youdon't mean a log here, but OK.

[HCO3-] = 223/61 = 3.656 mol/L

223 mg, not g. Besides, don't ignore units, as you force others to guess what is 61.

Sorry for my typo's in the units. The question as I understand it is to obtain Carbonic acid equilibrium given the equilibrium pH = pHs = 7.2

Then:

pHs = 7.2 = equilibrium of CO2 (= H2CO3 ) and HCO3-

pHs = pK1 – log ([CO2] / [HCO3-])

pK1 = 6.45 @12C

log ([CO2] / [HCO3-]) = -0.750

[CO2] / [HCO3-] = 0.178

[HCO3-] = 223/61 = 3.656 mmol/L

[CO2] = 0.178 * 3.656 = 0.650 mmol/L

CO2 = 0.650 * 44 = 28.6 mg/L

We need to remove 60 – 28.6 = 31.4 mg/L. Do you think this is correct?

At least logic behind looks OK, I have not checked the exact value (but it is definitely in a correct ballpark).

Hi Borek,
That calculation was correct!
many thanks for your assistance.

One more question, how do I calculate this one?:
Lime (calcium hydroxide) is used in softening. How much lime (mmol/L) needs to be dosed in the softening step?

Please start another thread (and follow the template).

Related to Calculate CO2 for Water Equilibrium at pH 7.2

1. How do you calculate CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2?

To calculate CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2, you will need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]). In this case, CO2 is the acid (HA) and the bicarbonate ion (HCO3-) is the conjugate base (A-). You will also need to know the pKa value for CO2, which is 6.37.

2. What information do I need to calculate CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2?

In order to calculate CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2, you will need to know the initial concentration of CO2, the initial pH, and the pKa value for CO2. You may also need to know the total carbonate concentration and the temperature of the solution.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is in logarithmic mode and that you use parentheses correctly in the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

4. What is the significance of calculating CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2?

Calculating CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2 is important for understanding the carbon cycle and the role of CO2 in regulating the pH of water. It is also important for understanding the impact of CO2 on the environment and its role in climate change.

5. How accurate is the calculation of CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2?

The accuracy of the calculation of CO2 for water equilibrium at pH 7.2 depends on the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made in the calculation. If the initial concentration of CO2 and the pKa value are known accurately, the calculation can be quite accurate. However, factors such as temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other ions can affect the accuracy of the calculation.