Calculate Determinant of Matrix in C++ - Get Help Now!

• Thread starter Caesar_Rahil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the determinant of a matrix in C++ and how to generalize it for different sized matrices. The use of recursion is mentioned as a possible approach, but the details are still unclear. The conversation also touches on the concept of expanding along rows or columns and the need to allocate memory at runtime for the determinant variable. The questions of how to arrange for recursion and what recursion is are also brought up.
Caesar_Rahil
Hello...
I am trying to build a program that calculates the calculates the determinant of a matrix. IN C++
I could do that to 3x3 matrix, but I was thinking of generalizing it.
I am unable to find a way to do that, the only hint I can get from mathematics is that I can use recursion to break my matrix into smaller matrices. Still i am stumped, can anybody help me out?please

Technology news on Phys.org
Well, the determinant of a one by one matrix A is simply A[1, 1].
For an n by n matrix, you can expand along rows or columns, and proceed just as you would do by "hand". So summing over i = 1 to n, take out the first row, nth column (or nth row, first column) and calculate the determinant of the remaining matrix (which is then (n - 1) x (n - 1), of course).

Still didn't get it

What don't you get?
How to calculate a determinant?
How to program it?
What recursion is?

Firstly how do i declare a determinant. Since its variable, i have to allocate memory at runtime. Plus, how do i arrange for recursion as i have to specify dimension of determinant at each step??

Related to Calculate Determinant of Matrix in C++ - Get Help Now!

1. What is a determinant of a matrix?

A determinant of a matrix is a numerical value that can be calculated for a square matrix. It is used to determine certain properties of the matrix and is often used in solving systems of linear equations or finding the inverse of a matrix.

2. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated in C++?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated in C++ using various methods such as Gaussian Elimination, Laplace Expansion, or using the properties of determinants. The specific method used will depend on the size and type of the matrix.

3. Can I use built-in functions to calculate the determinant of a matrix in C++?

Yes, C++ has built-in functions in the <cmath> and <cstdlib> libraries that can be used to calculate the determinant of a matrix. These functions include abs(), pow(), and sqrt().

4. Are there any special cases to consider when calculating the determinant of a matrix?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when calculating the determinant of a matrix. These include matrices with all 0's, matrices with repeated rows or columns, and matrices with a row or column that is a multiple of another row or column.

5. Is it necessary to use recursion when calculating the determinant of a matrix in C++?

No, recursion is not necessary to calculate the determinant of a matrix in C++. It can be done using iterative methods or by directly applying the properties of determinants. However, some methods, such as Laplace Expansion, may use recursion as part of their algorithm.