Calculate Diameter of Larger Piston Given 500N Force & 10cm^2 Area

• Thread starter bcddd214
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, this conversation discusses the use of a hydraulic lift to raise a 3000 kg car using a 500 N force on a smaller piston with an area of 10 cm^2. The relevant equations include pressure being constant at the same level, F_1/A_1 =F_2/A_2, and A=πr^2. The solution involves finding the diameter of the larger piston by using the given force and area of the smaller piston.
bcddd214

Homework Statement

A hydraulic lift raises a 3000 kg car when 500 N force is applied to the smaller piston. If the smaller piston has an area of 10 〖cm〗^2, what is the diameter of the larger piston?

Homework Equations

p_1=p_2
F_1/A_1 =F_2/A_2
A_2=(F_2 A_1)/F_2
A=πr^2
r=d/2

The Attempt at a Solution

monkey/lightbulb=me from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what all of your relevant equations mean? You have more than enough to solve the problem. Specifically, look at F_1/A_1 =F_2/A_2. Let's say that A_2 is the area of the smaller piston, 10 cm^2. You're trying to find A_1, because after that, you can easily get the diameter. What's F_2, the force on the smaller piston? How about F_1, the force on the larger piston?

The basic rule for this type of question is that pressure is constant at the same level. I think if the height of water level is the same, then it is fairly straight forward.

Related to Calculate Diameter of Larger Piston Given 500N Force & 10cm^2 Area

1. How do I calculate the diameter of the larger piston given a 500N force and a 10cm^2 area?

The formula for calculating the diameter of the larger piston is: d = √(4F/πP), where d is the diameter, F is the force, and P is the area. So for our given values, it would be: d = √(4*500N/π*10cm^2) = √(2000N/π) = 25.3cm.

2. Is the diameter of the larger piston affected by the force applied?

Yes, the diameter of the larger piston is directly proportional to the force applied. This means that as the force increases, the diameter of the larger piston will also increase.

3. Can I use this formula for any force and area measurements?

Yes, this formula can be used for any values of force and area. Just make sure that the units are consistent (e.g. both in N and cm^2).

4. How accurate is this calculation?

This calculation is based on a simplified equation and does not take into account factors such as friction and other external forces. Therefore, the calculated diameter may not be 100% accurate, but it can provide a good estimate.

5. Is there a way to calculate the diameter of the larger piston if I only know the force and the pressure?

Yes, you can rearrange the formula to solve for the area instead. The formula would be: P = 4F/πd^2, where P is the pressure and d is the diameter. Then, you can use the calculated area to find the diameter using the original formula d = √(4F/πP).