Calculate Divergence using limit definition

In summary: You're missing the ε. :wink:Ok so I have the two integrals for the xy-plane done, but now I need to do the same thing for the yz-plane.You're missing the ε. :wink:You're missing the ε. :wink:Ok so I have the two integrals for the xy-plane done, but now I need to do the same thing for the yz-plane.In summary, Saladsamurai is trying to solve a homework problem involving evaluating div v at P = (0,0,0) by actually evaluating (\int_S\mathbf{\hat
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Evaluate div v at P = (0, 0, 0) by actually evaluating [itex](\int_S\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot \mathbf{v}\,dA)/V[/itex] and taking the limit as B-->0. Take B to be the cube [itex]|x|\le\epsilon,|y|\le\epsilon,|z|\le\epsilon[/itex]. Let [itex]\mathbf{v} = x\mathbf{\hat{i}} + 2y\mathbf{\hat{j}} - 4z^3\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I need to do is to first find the integral [itex]\int_S\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot \mathbf{v}\,dA[/itex] and to do so, I will break it up into 6 integrals, one for each face of the cube.

First I have a question: the way that the bounds of the cube are given suggest that the cube is [itex]2\epsilon[/itex] in length in each direction. I am wondering how I am to position my coordinate system. Should it be centered in the cube? Should it be at a corner? Does it matter? I would like to think that it does not matter, but I cannot figure out how to justify that assumption.

I have more questions, but I would like to clarify this one first. I started the problem by positioning the origin at the center of the cube, but I want to confirm that's ok before typing my work in.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saladsamurai! :smile:
Saladsamurai said:
First I have a question: the way that the bounds of the cube are given suggest that the cube is [itex]2\epsilon[/itex] in length in each direction. I am wondering how I am to position my coordinate system. Should it be centered in the cube? Should it be at a corner? Does it matter? I would like to think that it does not matter, but I cannot figure out how to justify that assumption.

… I started the problem by positioning the origin at the center of the cube, but I want to confirm that's ok before typing my work in.

Yes, that's fine …

in fact, you really don't have a choice, since v depends on x y and z, and you'll get really confused if you try to change variables (especially if you keep the names x y and z ! :wink:).

tiny-tim said:

Yes, that's fine …

in fact, you really don't have a choice, since v depends on x y and z, and you'll get really confused if you try to change variables (especially if you keep the names x y and z ! :wink:).

Ok great tiny - tim, thanks! So let me show what I have done so far so I can show where I am confused. I am calculating the integral for the two faces of the cube that lie in the xy-plane first:

[tex] I_{xy-plane} = \int_y\int_x \mathbf{\hat{k}}
\cdot
(\mathbf{\hat{i}} + 2y\mathbf{\hat{j}} - 4z^3\mathbf{\hat{k}}) \,dx\ \,dy \, -
\int_y\int_x \mathbf{\hat{k}}
\cdot
(\mathbf{\hat{i}} + 2y\mathbf{\hat{j}} - 4z^3\mathbf{\hat{k}})\,dx\,dy \,
\qquad(1)
[/tex]

or

[tex] I_{xy-plane} = \int_y\int_x (-4z^3) \,dx\,dy \,
-
\int_y\int_x (-4z^3)\,dx\,dy \,
\qquad(2)
[/tex]

Now, I feel like this is missing something or else the integrals are just going to cancel. Also, I don't see how I am including the point P = (0,0,0) anywhere. Can someone calrify these two things for me?

You're missing the ε. :wink:

Related to Calculate Divergence using limit definition

1. What is divergence?

Divergence is a measure of how much a vector field spreads out or converges at a particular point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ · F, where ∇ is the gradient operator and F is the vector field.

2. Why is it important to calculate divergence using limit definition?

The limit definition of divergence allows us to find the exact value of divergence at a specific point in a vector field, rather than just an approximation. This is important for accurately analyzing the behavior of a vector field at a given point.

3. How do you calculate divergence using limit definition?

To calculate divergence using limit definition, you first need to find the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each variable. Then, plug these derivatives into the formula ∇ · F = lim ΔV→0 (1/ΔV)(∫∫∫V∇ · F dV), where ΔV is the volume around the point and V is the vector field. Finally, take the limit as ΔV approaches 0 to find the divergence at the point.

4. What is the difference between divergence and curl?

Divergence measures the spreading out or converging of a vector field, while curl measures the rotation or twisting of a vector field. In other words, divergence describes the flux of a vector field, while curl describes its circulation.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating divergence using limit definition?

Calculating divergence using limit definition is commonly used in fluid dynamics, where it helps to understand the behavior of fluids in a particular region. It is also used in electromagnetism to analyze the flow of electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, it is used in meteorology to study the movement of air in the atmosphere.