Calculate E Field between 4 cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field between four cylinders of equal size and potential, spaced an equal distance apart and touching an imaginary circle. It is determined that the field will be negligible if the cylinders are very long compared to their diameter, but a three-dimensional numerical approximation may be necessary otherwise. The concept of constant voltage and its relation to electric field is also brought up, as well as the possibility of an analytical solution. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using a two-dimensional numerical simulation to calculate the potential and electric field.
strokebow
Hi,

I have four cylinder with circular cross section. Each has the same potential (+V) applied to it. They are all the same size, length, diameter etc. and each are spaced an equal distance apart so that they all touch on to an imaginary circle with a distance x from the origin.

How to calculate the E field in between these cylinders?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the cylinders very long compared to their diameter? Then the field will be negligible. If not, you probably need a three-dimensional numerical approximation.

Thank you mfb for ur reply. yes - they are very long compared to the diameter. but i was thinking that an analytical solution may b possible. if one were to treat this as say a 2d dimensional problem. so in say an x-y plane (assuming we are at the mid-point along the cylinders) we have 4 circles each with potential V applied.
any ideas?

If something is surrounded by areas of constant voltage, the electric field is zero. You only get an electric field from the regions at the ends of the cylinders, something a two-dimensional analysis (x/y) misses.

mfb said:
If something is surrounded by areas of constant voltage, the electric field is zero. You only get an electric field from the regions at the ends of the cylinders, something a two-dimensional analysis (x/y) misses.
Thanks! I take your point. Nevertheless in the space in between the cylinders there exists an region which wud invoke a force on a unit positive test charge. So if say we assumed dat a unit positive test charge entered the region between the 4 cylinders how wud it behave? if we assumed say constant axial velocity and ignored the effects from the cylinders ends. what sort of motion wud the charge exhibit. can we describe that?

As long as the cylinders are kept at their potential, there would be no force on charged objects.

mfb said:
As long as the cylinders are kept at their potential, there would be no force on charged objects.
I get that the field is zero But what if

a charged particle was moving axially in between the cylinders but very close to one of the cylinder surfaces. Do you mean 2 say that it would not be repelled more by that particular cylinder. . . Intuitively I am struggling to grasp this. Can any1 offer some help? Scientific, anecdotal or otherwise pls

Also let's say a charged particle wss again moving axially in between the cylinders but had some angular momentum which directed it towards a cylinder surface. .. surely in this case there must be a force exerted which will push the particle towards the 'central axis'? Any help wud b gladly received

If the cylinders have the same potential everywhere, nothing happens. Why should there be a force?

Due to proximity. if i have 2 opposite charges and i try to bring them together the force will increase as they get closer, this is coulombs law as well all know. but i am trying to get a real grasp on this. just because the potential is the same on all the cylinders doesn't mean that a test charge will feel the same force,? is that true. i can grasp your point if u say that the test charge is exactly in the center. but what if that test charge moves closer to one of the cyinders, surely its influence is now greater than that of the other 3.
sorry if this sounds dumb but any sort of illustration you or any1 else can offer may help me
tks

just incase i am not on the same page as u. this is what i was thinking of in the attahed png image. the black dot is the positive test charge. left is 3d view, right is a 2d cross section somewher along the middle of the cylinders
tks

Attachments

• dc_cylinders.PNG
    dc_cylinders.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 477
Voltage isn't the same thing as charge. Charge has an absolute meaning. Voltage is only relative. You need to specify a zero point for your potential.

I interpreted post #1 as touching cylinders. If they do not touch, there will be some electric field. Yes, this field will be a bit stronger close to the cylinders, and a positive charge would be repelled by positively charged cylinders.

Thanks. So is there a way I could determine by an equation motion of a charged particle moving axially between the cylinders? On the face it seems to me that there might be. If we assume the test charge has constant axial velocity and the cylinders are all the same with same Volts.

How would I begin to solve this?

And are your previous statements still correct for my drawing?

Tks

strokebow said:
And are your previous statements still correct for my drawing?
No, with such a setup you have an electric field.
A two-dimensional numerical simulation will work. Make a fine grid, solve for the potential at every point with the Poisson equation, then calculate the electric field as the derivative.

How can u be so sure that no analytical solution exists. How can u tell

Tks

I am not sure, but it would surprise me.

ok. i thought maybe u had a way of telling.

so solving this numerically. for sake of making this easier for me to understand let us just say we only want to solve the potential at 1 point on the grid. i know the poisson equation. how do does someone actually use the poisson equation in practise? for my case with the 4 cylinders - or circles for this 2d case in question - can u give me any hints or tips or point me in the right direction.

tks

strokebow said:
so solving this numerically. for sake of making this easier for me to understand let us just say we only want to solve the potential at 1 point on the grid.
That doesn't help, unfortunately.

For cartesian coordinates with a rectangular grid, the Poisson equation simplifies to "every cell has a potential that is the average of the 4 cells around it". Fix the potential of cells that are in your cylinders, fix the potential "far away" (borders of the simulation, far away from the cylinders), iterate the calculation of averages until the system does not change any more.

Edit: quick and dirty with excel:
potential.png

Last edited:
Likes strokebow
very nice how do u do it. how long did it take to calculate? i never thought of using excel.
few questions if u can pls.
what is far away and to what potential do u fix it?
is it possible that u can share the excel formula with the corresponding theory. that wud be helpful to see how u did it.

tks

strokebow said:
very nice how do u do it.
As described. I fixed some cells (in four roughly circular patterns) to 1 and the boundary to 0, then I let each cell to be the mean of the four surrounding cells and let excel solve it iteratively.
strokebow said:
what is far away
Every finite distance will introduce some error, but you cannot calculate infinite grids of course. Something that is far away compared to the size of the cylinder structure will keep the error small.

I attached the file. I changed the central potential values to 9 so the 1-digit display has a bit more details than "1" and "0", Everything changes linearly, so the absolute values are quite meaningless anyway.

Attachments

• Potential_Zylinder.xlsx
    790 KB · Views: 285
Likes strokebow
mfb said:
As described. I fixed some cells (in four roughly circular patterns) to 1 and the boundary to 0, then I let each cell to be the mean of the four surrounding cells and let excel solve it iteratively.
Every finite distance will introduce some error, but you cannot calculate infinite grids of course. Something that is far away compared to the size of the cylinder structure will keep the error small.

I attached the file. I changed the central potential values to 9 so the 1-digit display has a bit more details than "1" and "0", Everything changes linearly, so the absolute values are quite meaningless anyway.

tks

its a nice idea to do that with excel.
how do u manage to change the cewll colors to follow the magnitude in excel? its nice.

how would u then use the information provided from the grid to determine how a test charge might behave moving in the field between the cylinders. cud that be done in excel also?

TKS

I don't know how it is called in English, but probably something like "conditional formatting". There are options for spectra like that.

Excel is not a good tool for precise results, but it is quick to set up something there.
strokebow said:
how would u then use the information provided from the grid to determine how a test charge might behave moving in the field between the cylinders. cud that be done in excel also?
Well, the difference between two cells is proportional to the electric field, you can calculate the position and velocity step by step. Excel is probably not the best tool for that, but again you can get some approximation with it.

mfb said:
I don't know how it is called in English, but probably something like "conditional formatting". There are options for spectra like that.

Excel is not a good tool for precise results, but it is quick to set up something there.
Well, the difference between two cells is proportional to the electric field, you can calculate the position and velocity step by step. Excel is probably not the best tool for that, but again you can get some approximation with it.

just thinking that through. i must assume axial position/velocity is constant so each step moves by a certain axial distance and is a specific value of time. from an initial position and velocity <both for x and y> i wud have eE = ma. if i assume some nominal mass also. then at step 1 i have a new x velocity, new x position, new y position and new y velocity.
But for a rough approximation how do i link the field value from the excel sheet to E in the equation?

tks

The steps can be anything. You will get some error from the evaluation of the electric field and from the finite time step size. Nothing has to be constant.
strokebow said:
But for a rough approximation how do i link the field value from the excel sheet to E in the equation?
For a very rough approximation, take the cell your particle is in, and the upper and left neighbor for the field estimate. For a better estimate, you can take into account more cells, or make the choice of neighbors dependent on the position inside the cell, or various other things.

mfb said:
The steps can be anything. You will get some error from the evaluation of the electric field and from the finite time step size. Nothing has to be constant.
For a very rough approximation, take the cell your particle is in, and the upper and left neighbor for the field estimate. For a better estimate, you can take into account more cells, or make the choice of neighbors dependent on the position inside the cell, or various other things.
for rough approx. can i use u = v + at and s = ut + 0.5 *a*t*t
a = eE/m
where E is from excel collection of cells, m is some constant value.
then fot a 1st time step = T,
s<x> = x0 * T + 0.5*(eE/m) * T * T

or is there a better way? and is there some intuition which can tell u will the motion be of a certain type - for example, simple harmonic

Yes, that should work.

There are no stable orbits. Everything subject to this field only and close to the clinders will quickly hit one of the cylinders, or fly away to infinity.
Far away from the cylinders, an orbit around the group of cylinders is possible for negatively charged particles. The larger the distance the better the long-term stability.

TKS

how did u come to that conclusion?

what was it about the arrangement that allowed u realize there will be no stable orbit?

Don't use "u" and similar "words" please.

The system is similar to orbital mechanics with gravity, multiple centers won't lead to stable orbits.

Related to Calculate E Field between 4 cylinders

1. "What is the formula for calculating the electric field between 4 cylinders?"

The formula for calculating the electric field between 4 cylinders is given by E = k * (Q1 - Q2) / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two cylinders, and r is the distance between them.

2. "How do I determine the direction of the electric field between 4 cylinders?"

The direction of the electric field between 4 cylinders depends on the relative charges of the cylinders. If the two cylinders have opposite charges, then the electric field will point from the positive charge to the negative charge. If the two cylinders have the same charge, then the electric field will point away from the cylinders.

3. "Can the electric field between 4 cylinders be negative?"

Yes, the electric field between 4 cylinders can be negative. This means that the electric field points in the opposite direction of the positive direction, indicating that the two cylinders have opposite charges.

4. "Do the radii of the cylinders affect the electric field between them?"

Yes, the radii of the cylinders do affect the electric field between them. As the distance between the cylinders increases, the electric field decreases. Therefore, if the radii of the cylinders are larger, the electric field will be weaker compared to if the radii were smaller.

5. "What are the units for the electric field between 4 cylinders?"

The units for the electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). These units represent the strength of the electric field and how much force it would exert on a unit charge at a specific distance.