Calculate electric field given the magnetic field

In summary, the conversation is discussing the dependence of the B field on z and t, given by the formula ##B = j B_{0}cos(kz-\omega t)##, where k is the wavenumber, ##\omega## is angular frequency, and ##B_{0}## is a constant. The electric field is given by ##E = E_{x}i + E_{y}j +E_{z}k##, and the question is asking to determine an expression for ##E_{x}## given certain conditions. The conversation also involves discussing the relationship between E and B fields and what is known about this type of electromagnetic field.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

The B field depends on z and t so that
##B = j B_{0}cos(kz-\omega t)## where k is the wavenumber, ##\omega## is angular frequency and ##B_{0}## is constant.
The electric field is ##E = E_{x}i + E_{y}j +E_{z}k##. Given ##E_{y}=E_{z}=0##, and ##E_{x}=\frac{\omega B_{0}}{k}## at ##t=z=0##, determine an expression for ##E_{x}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm probably missing some sort of important concept! I feel like some sort of integration/differential equation should be involved, especially since ##E_{x}## at ##t=z=0## looks like a boundary condition. But I don't know how to turn this expression at t=0 into a general expression. It might not even have anything to do with the magnetic field...

Physics news on Phys.org
You use your understanding of the relationship between E and B fields.
What sort of B field is the equation for?
What do you know about that kind of EM field?

Related to Calculate electric field given the magnetic field

1. What is the equation for calculating electric field given a magnetic field?

The equation for calculating electric field (E) given a magnetic field (B) is E = B*v, where v is the velocity of the charged particle moving through the magnetic field.

2. Can you explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of the same fundamental force, known as the electromagnetic force. An electric field is created by stationary charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving charges. They are interconnected and can affect each other, as seen in the equation for calculating electric field given a magnetic field.

3. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the electric field?

The direction of the magnetic field plays a crucial role in determining the direction of the electric field. The electric field is always perpendicular to the magnetic field and the direction of the electric field depends on the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charged particle moving through it.

4. Is there a difference between electric and magnetic fields in terms of strength?

Electric and magnetic fields have the same strength and can be measured in the same units (newtons per coulomb). However, the strength of the electric field is affected by the amount of charge present, while the strength of the magnetic field is affected by the speed of the charged particle.

5. How does the presence of a magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

A charged particle moving through a magnetic field will experience a force perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to move in a circular or helical path. This is known as the Lorentz force and is the basis for many applications, such as particle accelerators and MRI machines.

Back