Calculate Enantiomeric Excess (EE) of Penicillin G Mixture

In summary, the question involves calculating the enantiomeric excess (ee) of a mixture of pencillin G with an optical rotation of +103 degrees, with the given information that pure pencicillin G has an optical rotation of +206 degrees. The ee is calculated to be 50%, and the next step is to calculate the percentage composition of the (+) enantiomer in the mixture. This can be done by considering the number of moles of each enantiomer needed to form a 50% ee mixture, resulting in a composition of 75% (+) enantiomer and 25% (-) enantiomer.
noxflos
The question reads: The optical rotation of pure pencicillin G is +206 degrees. A sample of pencillin G was found to have an optical rotation of +103 degrees. Calculate the enantiomeric excess (ee) in the mixture.

I did so by: 103/203 x 100 = 50%

Here is where I am lost:

Next calculate the precent composition of the (+) enantiomer.

What the heck is that? I know it is a mole fraction but how do I know what to plug in. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My best guess would be they want to know what percentage of the supposed mixture is the (+) enantiomer. Remember that the ee refers to the excess of one enantiomer, not the amount of one enantiomer. Think of the number of moles of each enantiomer that would be necessary to form a mixture with 50% ee and then calculate the mole fraction from there.

I hope that is clear, I don't want to give it away though.

I got it...thanks for your help...It is 75% (+) enantiomer and 25% (-).

Related to Calculate Enantiomeric Excess (EE) of Penicillin G Mixture

1. What is Enantiomeric Excess (EE) and why is it important?

Enantiomeric Excess (EE) is a measurement of the percentage of one enantiomer (mirror image) present in a mixture of two enantiomers. It is important because it allows us to determine the purity and quality of a mixture, as well as understand the effectiveness of a chemical reaction.

2. How is Enantiomeric Excess (EE) calculated?

The formula for calculating Enantiomeric Excess (EE) is: %EE = (([R] - [S]) / ([R] + [S])) x 100, where [R] and [S] represent the concentrations of the two enantiomers in the mixture.

3. What are the units for expressing Enantiomeric Excess (EE)?

Enantiomeric Excess (EE) is typically expressed as a percentage (%), but it can also be expressed in other units such as mole fraction or enantiomeric ratio.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of an Enantiomeric Excess (EE) calculation?

The accuracy of an Enantiomeric Excess (EE) calculation can be affected by experimental errors, such as incorrect measurements or contamination, as well as the purity of the starting materials and the precision of the analytical techniques used.

5. How can Enantiomeric Excess (EE) be determined experimentally?

Enantiomeric Excess (EE) can be determined by using various analytical techniques, such as chiral chromatography, circular dichroism, or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These techniques can separate and measure the concentrations of each enantiomer in a mixture, allowing for the calculation of EE.