Calculate Energy Loss from Parachutist Jump

In summary: What matters is that the cart is experiencing a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which is causing it to slow down.In summary, for the first problem, the parachutist starts off with gravitational potential energy and loses it as they drop, converting it into kinetic energy. We can use the equation W = ½ mv^2 (f) – ½ mv^2 (i) to find the energy lost to air resistance. For the second problem, we can either use Newton's Second Law or the Principle of Conservation of Energy to find the force of friction that slows the motion of the cart. The acceleration of the cart is given, so the magnitude of friction is not needed, only the direction opposing the motion.
petern
A parachutist with a mass of 50.0 kg jumps out of an airplane with an altitude of 1.00 x 10^3 m. After the parachute deploys, the parachutist lands with a velocity of 5.00 m/s. Find the energy that was lost to air resistance during th jump.

I tried using this: W = Kf – Ki → W = ½ mv^2 (f) – ½ mv^2 (i)
but I don't know what the initial velocity was because I don't know when the parachute deploys. How do you solve this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key is that you know the height he jumped from. What does that tell you about the energy he starts off with? You don't need to know when the parachute deploys. Since you know the velocity of the jumper when he reaches the ground, you know how much energy he has left when he reaches the ground.

hage567 said:
The key is that you know the height he jumped from. What does that tell you about the energy he starts off with? You don't need to know when the parachute deploys. Since you know the velocity of the jumper when he reaches the ground, you know how much energy he has left when he reaches the ground.

So I use V^2 = V_o^2 + 2ax and solve for V. Then I find the kinetic energy using this: W = Kf – Ki → W = ½ mv^2 (f) – ½ mv^2 (i). Is that right?

Last edited:
You don't need to worry about the initial velocity. What's gravitational potential energy? If you know that, you know how much energy he has to start off with.

Here's another problem with the same concept but I can't seem to get it to work:

A horizontal force of 2.00 x 10^2 N is applied to a 55 kg cart across a 10 m level surface accelerating it 2 m/s^2. Find the force of friction that slows the motion slows the motion of the cart.

Is there enough information on friction? The method I used for the first problem doesn't work.

Initially, the parachutist has gravitational potential energy and zero kinetic energy (since u=0). As the parachutist drops, he experiences a drop in gravitational potential energy, and the loss in energy is converted into the kinetic energy.

Since there's no gravitational potential energy in the second problem, I would have to use velocity but there's not enough information on friction to find out what the final velocity is.

You can either:
1) Apply Newton's Second Law. What is the resultant force? From there you can get your friction.

or

2) Apply Principle of Conservation of Energy. Resultant force x distance traveled = Change in Kinetic Energy

You are given the acceleration, so it doesn't matter if you don't know the magnitude of friction.

Related to Calculate Energy Loss from Parachutist Jump

1. How is energy loss calculated in a parachutist jump?

Energy loss in a parachutist jump is calculated by using the formula: Energy Loss = Potential Energy - Kinetic Energy. This means that the energy loss is equal to the difference between the initial potential energy (at the top of the jump) and the final kinetic energy (after the parachute opens).

2. What factors affect the energy loss in a parachutist jump?

The energy loss in a parachutist jump is affected by several factors, including the weight of the parachutist, the height of the jump, air resistance, and the size and shape of the parachute. These factors can impact the potential and kinetic energy of the jump, thereby affecting the overall energy loss.

3. Can the energy loss in a parachutist jump be minimized?

Yes, the energy loss in a parachutist jump can be minimized by adjusting certain factors such as the weight of the parachutist and the size and shape of the parachute. A lighter parachutist or a larger parachute can reduce the potential energy and therefore decrease the overall energy loss.

4. How does air resistance contribute to the energy loss in a parachutist jump?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the parachutist's descent. This means that as the parachutist falls, the air resistance increases, causing the potential energy to decrease and resulting in a higher energy loss.

5. Is the energy loss in a parachutist jump the same every time?

No, the energy loss in a parachutist jump can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier, such as weight, height, air resistance, and parachute size. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the energy loss for a specific jump.