Calculate Equivalent Inductance of Coils Connected in Series

In summary, when two coils are connected in series on the same iron core, the equivalent inductance will be the sum of the individual inductances plus twice the square root of their mutual inductance. The inductance is proportional to the number of turns squared, so if the number of turns are N1 and N2, the equivalent inductance can be expressed as L=L1+L2+2*sqrt(L1*L2).
regisz90

Homework Statement

There are two coils wined around the same closed iron core. Their inductances on this iron core are measured to be 4 henry, and 9 henry. Then the two coils are connected in series. What will the equivalent inductance be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the measured values aren´t the inductances of the coils, but there is also some mutual inductance. The equivalent inductance in series will be L=L1+L2+2M
I just don't know that the 4 Henry and the 9 Henry are in what relation with the L1 and L2 inductances(without mutual)

Physics news on Phys.org
regisz90 said:

Homework Statement

There are two coils wined around the same closed iron core. Their inductances on this iron core are measured to be 4 henry, and 9 henry. Then the two coils are connected in series. What will the equivalent inductance be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the measured values aren´t the inductances of the coils, but there is also some mutual inductance. The equivalent inductance in series will be L=L1+L2+2M
I just don't know that the 4 Henry and the 9 Henry are in what relation with the L1 and L2 inductances(without mutual)

Hint -- the inductance is proportional to the number of turns __________ (fill in the blank).

squared?

regisz90 said:
squared?

Yep! :smile:

So if you combine two equal coils L1 and L2, you don't get L1+L2, you get ________

And now how can you use this to solve this problem?

its proportional squared, so if the number of turns are N1 and N2, then we get L=k*(N1+N2)^2=k*N1^2 + k*N2^2 + 2*k*N1*N2=L1 + L2 + 2*sqrt(L1*L2).
But I don't know how can i use this to solve the problem. The result is the inductance of the two coils together, and they tried to measure them separately on the same iron core, but i don't know what their result is. L1 and L2? or L1+sqrt(L1*L2) and L2+sqrt(L1*L2)?

regisz90 said:
its proportional squared, so if the number of turns are N1 and N2, then we get L=k*(N1+N2)^2=k*N1^2 + k*N2^2 + 2*k*N1*N2=L1 + L2 + 2*sqrt(L1*L2).
But I don't know how can i use this to solve the problem. The result is the inductance of the two coils together, and they tried to measure them separately on the same iron core, but i don't know what their result is. L1 and L2? or L1+sqrt(L1*L2) and L2+sqrt(L1*L2)?

Try making up some numbers for the inductance versus the number of turns squared. The two coils are on the same core, so they will have the same inductance per number of turns squared. Work out the total inductance from there...

Related to Calculate Equivalent Inductance of Coils Connected in Series

1. How do I calculate the equivalent inductance of coils connected in series?

The formula for calculating the equivalent inductance of coils connected in series is Leq = L1 + L2 + L3 + ... + Ln, where L1, L2, L3, ... , Ln are the inductances of each individual coil.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the equivalent inductance of coils connected in series?

Calculating the equivalent inductance of coils connected in series allows us to determine the total inductance of a circuit. This is important in designing and analyzing circuits, as inductance affects the behavior of a circuit in terms of current and voltage.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating the equivalent inductance of coils connected in parallel?

No, the formula for calculating the equivalent inductance of coils connected in parallel is Leq = (L1-1 + L2-1 + L3-1 + ... + Ln-1)-1. This is because inductances in parallel add inversely.

4. What happens to the equivalent inductance when the number of coils connected in series increases?

As the number of coils connected in series increases, the equivalent inductance also increases. This is because the individual inductances add together to create a larger total inductance.

5. Is the equivalent inductance of coils connected in series affected by the frequency of the current passing through them?

Yes, the equivalent inductance of coils connected in series is affected by the frequency of the current passing through them. This is due to the relationship between inductance and frequency, where as frequency increases, the inductance also increases.

Back