Calculate Euler Buckling Load with Different End Fixity Conditions

• Thread starter thebest99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
Just calculate the values for each equation given the information provided in the problem. Remember to use consistent units and check your work for accuracy.
thebest99
a steel rod, 40mm in diameter and 1.00m long is pinned at each end

calculate the euler bucking load

Answer:

using PE = pie sqaured 210x10cubed kN/mm x 1.25 x 10power 5mm to the 4 divided by 1000mm sqaured

=259.1kN

b) indentify three other possible end fixity conditions for the rod and demonstrate how the Euler buckling load will be effected in each case

i have pinned -fixed, PE=2.04pie sqaured EI divided by L sqaured

fixed -fixed , PE= 4pie sqaured EI dived by L sqaured
and fixed free, PE= quater pie sqaured EI divide by L sqaured

can someone help with question b.

thnak you

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of help are you looking for? You've identified 3 other end conditions and noted how it affects the critical buckling load.

believe i have to do the calculations too for the equations

Plug and chug.

Answer:

In the case of pinned-fixed, the Euler buckling load will be slightly lower than the pinned-pinned case because one end is fixed, providing some stability to the rod. This can be calculated using the formula PE=2.04pie squared EI divided by L squared, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and L is the length of the rod.

In the case of fixed-fixed, the Euler buckling load will be significantly higher than the pinned-pinned case because both ends are fixed, providing maximum stability to the rod. This can be calculated using the formula PE=4pie squared EI divided by L squared.

In the case of fixed-free, the Euler buckling load will be the highest among all the end fixity conditions because one end is free to move, allowing for maximum deflection and instability. This can be calculated using the formula PE=1/4 pie squared EI divided by L squared.

FAQ: Calculate Euler Buckling Load with Different End Fixity Conditions

1. What is Euler buckling load?

Euler buckling load is the maximum load that a slender column can withstand before it buckles or collapses under compression. It is determined by the material properties of the column and its length, cross-sectional area, and end fixity conditions.

2. How is Euler buckling load calculated?

Euler buckling load can be calculated using the Euler's formula: P = (π^2 * E * I) / (l^2), where P is the buckling load, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the area moment of inertia, and l is the length of the column.

3. What are the different end fixity conditions and how do they affect the Euler buckling load?

The end fixity conditions refer to how the ends of the column are supported. Fixed-fixed conditions, where both ends are fixed, have the highest buckling load. Fixed-free conditions, where one end is fixed and the other is free to rotate, have the lowest buckling load. Fixed-pinned and pinned-pinned conditions have intermediate buckling loads.

4. How does the material of the column affect the Euler buckling load?

The modulus of elasticity of the material affects the Euler buckling load. Materials with higher modulus of elasticity, such as steel, have higher buckling loads compared to materials with lower modulus of elasticity, such as wood.

5. Can the Euler buckling load be increased?

Yes, the Euler buckling load can be increased by increasing the column's length, cross-sectional area, or modulus of elasticity. Additionally, providing additional support or bracing to the column can also increase the buckling load.

Back