Calculate flux in a ferrite bead on a wire

In summary, the current through a ferrite bead around a wire causes a magnetic field only in the vicinity of the bead, and the inductance of the wire with the ferrite bead is dominated by the inductance of the ferrite bead.
EmilyRuck
Suppose that a ferrite bead is put around a cable where a constant current [itex]I[/itex] flows, just like in this image.

The coordinate system has the [itex]z[/itex] axis along the cable. Let's evaluate the current through the [itex](x,y)[/itex] plane: according to the Ampère's law, the only magnetic field component generated by that current is

[itex]H_{\phi} = \displaystyle \frac{I}{2 \pi r}[/itex]

where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the origin.
In order to calculate the inductance of the wire with the ferrite bead, the magnetic flux through the ferrite should be calculated first.
The ferrite bead has [itex]a[/itex] as internal radius and [itex]b[/itex] as external radius, so it is present in the [itex](x,y)[/itex] plane only for [itex]a \leq r \leq b[/itex]. It surrounds the conductor (which has of course a section diameter less than [itex]2a[/itex]) and the flux of the magnetic field through the ferrite bead should be:

[itex]\Phi = \mu_0 \mu_r \displaystyle \frac{I}{2 \pi} \int_a^b \displaystyle \frac{1}{r} dr = \displaystyle \frac{\mu_0 \mu_r I}{2 \pi} \ln \left( \displaystyle \frac{b}{a} \right)[/itex]

Then the inductance is [itex]L = \Phi / I[/itex] as usual.

My question is: why is the flux calculated in such a way?? Should not be considered all the surface surrounded by the circuit or something similar? (I know, it is a linear cable and I didn't specify that area)

Physics news on Phys.org
It makes sense to speak of the inductance of the wire/bead combination because the ferrite has a high permeability so its inductance dominates over that of the rest of the wire. Does that address your question?

Likes EmilyRuck
Thant means the thickness of the ferrite bead is unity

Likes EmilyRuck
Thanks to both of you. And for @marcusl yes, sure, your observations address my question.

I think there's a small slip. You need to integrate the flux through an area at right angles to the flux, so you need to multiply by the axial length of the bead. Alternatively you must interpret your Phi as flux per unit axial length of bead.

Likes EmilyRuck

Related to Calculate flux in a ferrite bead on a wire

1. What is a ferrite bead and how does it work?

A ferrite bead is a small cylindrical device made of ferrite material that is used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It works by converting the noise energy into heat, which is dissipated through the ferrite material.

2. How is flux calculated in a ferrite bead?

Flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the cross-sectional area of the ferrite bead. This can be represented by the equation φ = B x A, where φ is the flux, B is the magnetic field strength, and A is the cross-sectional area of the ferrite bead.

3. What is the purpose of using a ferrite bead on a wire?

The purpose of using a ferrite bead on a wire is to suppress high frequency noise and interference. This helps to improve the overall performance and reliability of electronic circuits by reducing electromagnetic interference.

4. How does the size and shape of a ferrite bead affect its flux-carrying capacity?

The size and shape of a ferrite bead can affect its flux-carrying capacity. A larger bead with a larger cross-sectional area will be able to carry more flux, while a smaller bead with a smaller cross-sectional area will have a lower flux-carrying capacity. Additionally, the shape of the bead can also impact the distribution of flux within the bead.

5. Can flux in a ferrite bead be affected by external factors?

Yes, flux in a ferrite bead can be affected by external factors such as temperature, magnetic fields, and frequency. For example, an increase in temperature can cause the ferrite material to become less effective at converting noise energy into heat, resulting in a decrease in flux. Similarly, a high frequency signal passing through the bead can also alter the flux distribution and affect its effectiveness.