Calculate Force on Submarine Hatch due to Seawater Pressure

In summary, the problem involves calculating the force on a circular hatch of a submarine at a depth of 500 m under water due to the pressure of the seawater. The formula used is F=PA, where P is the pressure, A is the area, and F is the force. The pressure is calculated using the equation P2-P1=pgd, where p is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the depth. The correct answer is 4.94 × 106 N.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

A submarine is at a depth of 500 m under the water. The force on a circular hatch of 1.00 m in diameter due to the seawater (density = 1,025 kg/m3) pressure from outside the submarine is:

Homework Equations

F=PA
P2-P1=pgd

The Attempt at a Solution

F=(pgd+P1)A

where A = pi*r^2

When I plug in all the values, I cannot get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=[(1025kg/m^3*9.8N/kg*500m)+1.013x10^5 Pa][pi*(0.5m)^2]
F=4.02x10^6 N

I have no clue where I am going wrong, in fact I thought this was an easy concept?

Did I mess up somewhere with the units?
Was I wrong to assume the pressure at the submarine would be P=pgd + 1.013x10&5 Pa?
I don't know...

What is the answer supposed to be?

The only thing I can see would be that the question is asking for the force due to the pressure from the seawater, which might mean the water only, not the total pressure (which would include atmospheric pressure, as you did above).

That answer is not there either, though.

a. 2.45 × 106 N.
b. 3.95 × 106 N.
c. 4.94 × 106 N.
d. 5.50 × 106 N.
e. 6.34 × 106 N.

Nevermind figured it out thanks!

Related to Calculate Force on Submarine Hatch due to Seawater Pressure

What is the formula for calculating the force on a submarine hatch due to seawater pressure?

The formula for calculating the force on a submarine hatch due to seawater pressure is F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area in square meters.

How do you determine the pressure of seawater at a certain depth?

The pressure of seawater at a certain depth can be determined using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in Pascals, ρ is the density of seawater in kilograms per cubic meter, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the depth in meters.

What factors affect the force on a submarine hatch due to seawater pressure?

The force on a submarine hatch due to seawater pressure is affected by the depth of the submarine, the density of seawater, and the surface area of the hatch.

How can the force on a submarine hatch be reduced?

The force on a submarine hatch can be reduced by decreasing the depth of the submarine, using materials with lower density, or decreasing the surface area of the hatch.

Why is it important to calculate the force on a submarine hatch due to seawater pressure?

It is important to calculate the force on a submarine hatch due to seawater pressure in order to ensure the structural integrity of the hatch and to prevent any potential damage or failure due to excessive force.