Calculate Frenet Frame for \vec{r}(t)

• Thread starter BitterX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the Frenet frame and acceleration for a given vector \vec{r}(t)=(2t cost,2tsint,5t). Two different methods are suggested - using arclength parametrization or using the Frenet frame formulas. The conversation also mentions the need for a unit vector in the Frenet frame and suggests looking for resources, such as a book, to learn more about how to use the first method.
BitterX

Homework Statement

calculate the frenet frame for the vector:
[itex]\vec{r}(t)=(2t cost,2tsint,5t)[/itex]

calculate the acceleration in frenet frame.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{T}=\frac{dr}{ds}=\frac{\dot{r}}{|\dot{r}|}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{N}=\frac{\frac{dT}{ds}}{|\frac{dT}{ds}|}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{B}=\hat{T}\times \hat{N}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to get to [itex]\vec{r}(s)[/itex]
what I tried is : [itex]s=2t \ \ \Rightarrow \vec{r}(s)= s(\cos \frac{s}{2},\sin \frac{s}{2},2.5)[/itex]
[itex]T=\frac{dr}{ds}=s(-\sin \frac{s}{2},\cos \frac{s}{2},0)+(\cos \frac{s}{2},\sin \frac{s}{2},2.5)[/itex]

which is NOT a unit vector.
if I try use t as the variable it's just becomes a gigantic answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two ways to solve this problem:

• The first way is to put r into arclength parametrization. You should have seen several formulas in your course that show how to make r into a curve with unit speed. These formulas use integrals, so are not always handy or solvable, however.
  • The second way is to use formulas for the Frenet frame which do not require the curve to have unit speed. These formulas are a bit more complicated than the usual formulas.

So, look in your course for these things and see if you can do something with it.

Thanks.
I know the second way,and I did it like that.
About the first way, can you recommend on a book that show how to do it?
in our course it was only when z=0...

edit: nvm googled it...
I feel ashamed. Thanks!

FAQ: Calculate Frenet Frame for \vec{r}(t)

What is the Frenet frame?

The Frenet frame, also known as the moving frame or moving trihedron, is a set of three orthonormal vectors that describe the local orientation of a curve in three-dimensional space.

What is the purpose of calculating the Frenet frame?

Calculating the Frenet frame allows us to determine the curvature, torsion, and other geometric properties of a curve. It also helps us understand the behavior of the curve and its relationship to its surrounding space.

What is the formula for calculating the Frenet frame for a given curve?

The formula for calculating the Frenet frame for a curve \vec{r}(t) is: \vec{t} = \frac{\vec{r}'(t)}{|\vec{r}'(t)|}, \vec{n} = \frac{\vec{t}'(t)}{|\vec{t}'(t)|}, \vec{b} = \vec{t}(t) \times \vec{n}(t), where \vec{t} is the unit tangent vector, \vec{n} is the unit normal vector, and \vec{b} is the unit binormal vector.

What is the significance of the unit tangent vector in the Frenet frame?

The unit tangent vector represents the direction of the curve at a given point, and its magnitude represents the speed of the curve at that point. It is the first vector in the Frenet frame and is used to calculate the other two vectors.

How does the Frenet frame change along a curve?

The Frenet frame changes as we move along a curve, reflecting the changing direction and speed of the curve. The unit tangent vector always points in the direction of the curve, while the unit normal vector and unit binormal vector change direction and orientation as the curve curves and twists.