Calculate friction in an unusual manner.

• Thread starter Thijske
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a specific case of calculating friction force between a rotating rod and a stationary circular object. The formula for static/kinetic friction may not be applicable due to the lack of a normal force. The force exerted on the rod, Frod>, is known, along with the coefficients. The conversation also touches on the importance of experimental determination and factors such as gravity, flexibility, and the use of a bearing. The conversation then shifts to discussing a contraption involving a turning rod and a circular object with compressed gas, and the question of how to calculate the necessary normal force to keep the gas from escaping. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of creating a small scale model to better understand the friction in the contraption.
Thijske
This is quite a specific case:
I would like to calculate how much friction force is exerted between the rotating rod and the stationary circular thing. I guess we can't just use the formula of static/kinetic friction, because I don't think a normal force is of application... In the image, Fres> is made up of Frod> and Ffriction<. Only Frod is a known force. Also, the coefficients are known. By the way, Frod is the force someone exerts on the rod.

Illustration: https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/12/19/67d76d5ccc990bed5ac4be6922a03021-full.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Thijske, :welcome: !

Thijske said:
I would like to calculate
Sure, but for that you need some input, which is deerly lacking in your story. You draw a star(*) at the point where it hurts most, but the turning point is also a big unknown contributor: if the fit between axis of rotation and cylindrical wall is tight, properties like flexibility of the turning pole come in too. The international standards organisation has a whole book on sets of fits and limits (also https://mdmetric.com/METRIC%20STANDARDS%20for%20Worldwide%20Manufacturing%20summaries.pdf)

Seems to me this has to be determined experimentally.

What does this contraption represent ? Does gravity play a role (you don't say it is a top or a side view)

(*) why not have a wheel or a ball bearing there ?

BvU said:
Hello Thijske, :welcome: !

Sure, but for that you need some input, which is deerly lacking in your story. You draw a star(*) at the point where it hurts most, but the turning point is also a big unknown contributor: if the fit between axis of rotation and cylindrical wall is tight, properties like flexibility of the turning pole come in too. The international standards organisation has a whole book on sets of fits and limits (also https://mdmetric.com/METRIC%20STANDARDS%20for%20Worldwide%20Manufacturing%20summaries.pdf)

Seems to me this has to be determined experimentally.

What does this contraption represent ? Does gravity play a role (you don't say it is a top or a side view)

(*) why not have a wheel or a ball bearing there ?

Hi, thanks for your response!
In answer to your concerns:
- This drawing is a top view, so gravity doesn't play a role.
- The two components are both made of thick aluminum (flexibility is therefore probably insignificant).
- The turning rod and the circular thing are airtight. Therefore, a bearing of any kind is unfit for the job.
- The turning point is in de center of the entire circle; the turning point has a constant distance to the circle.
- I would rather not do this expirementally, because to construct the entire contraption (including other stuff, that is) would be too expensive.

Thijske said:
This drawing is a top view
Makes me curious to see the whole thing: side view, height, top/bottom construction, etc.
Thijske said:
The turning rod and the circular thing are airtight
Like a revolving door in a store, or like an airlock in the ISS ? How about under and above the rod (apparently not a beam, but a rod?) ? What pushes the turning rod against the circular thing ?
Thijske said:
I would rather not do this expirementally
Make a small scale model with the essentials. You'll find that beats any and all calculations.
BvU said:
What does this contraption represent ?
Here you see an interesting phenomenon in research: ask one question, get back five :smile:

Thijske said:
Only Frod is a known force.
Is ##F_{rod}## the force for an angular acceleration or is it moving at a constant angular velocity?

BvU said:
Here you see an interesting phenomenon in research: ask one question, get back five :smile:
Yeah I've experienced that a lot lately, so it kind of made me laugh. Anyway, I want to thank you for your time again!

However I'd like you to consider the following: https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/12/20/5f2ca236e50492ac9894f0f286e6276c-full.png

In here, Fpressure is what I meant earlier with Frod. The pressure comes from a comprised gas (red stuff). The gas is pure oxygen (O2). The pressure is known. For the rest, I guess everything from earlier applies to this scenario. I understand that the pressure goes down as the beam/rod/pole/whatever goes to the left, but that doesn't matter, I want to calculate Fn in the most comprised scenario.
My thinking here is that Fn needs to be big enough to keep the oxygen from getting out.
Friction is calculated with Fn.
The question: how do I calculate Fn?

BvU said:
Make a small scale model with the essentials. You'll find that beats any and all calculations.
I would, but this isn't the only friction in the entire contraption. To know all frictions, I'd have to make the entire thing, and that would be a huge project...

Dale said:
Is ##F_{rod}## the force for an angular acceleration or is it moving at a constant angular velocity?
I guess it's the first of the two mentioned options, but I'm not too sure about what you're saying, sorry...

Related to Calculate friction in an unusual manner.

1. What is friction and why is it important to calculate it?

Friction is the force that resists the movement of one surface against another. It is important to calculate friction because it can affect the performance and efficiency of machines and objects in motion.

2. How is friction typically calculated?

Friction is typically calculated using the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. This coefficient is multiplied by the normal force, or the force pressing the two surfaces together, to determine the frictional force.

3. What are some unusual ways to calculate friction?

Some unusual ways to calculate friction include using mathematical equations to model the behavior of friction, using computer simulations, or even conducting experiments with unconventional materials or surfaces.

4. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication, using smoother surfaces, or reducing the weight or speed of an object.

5. How can calculating friction be applied in real-world situations?

Calculating friction can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing efficient machines, predicting the behavior of objects in motion, or determining the best materials to use in different environments where friction is a factor.