Calculate IC equalizer frequencies and gain

tritonas00
Homework Statement: Calculate frequencies/gain in an AC circuit given capacitance and resistance
Relevant Equations: Looking for them :P

Hi! I have this diagram:

eq.png

BA3823LS monolithic, five-point stereo graphic equalizer IC is used. Is there any way to calculate the frequencies (hz) that are defined and how much boost/cut gain (db) is applied in each frequency? If i'm reading this correctly the capacitors (C56, C55, ...) are used for setting the frequencies and the resistances on the side are used to cut/boost those frequencies?

I don't know anything about electronics and all the info i have is https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/233435/Rohm/BA3823LS/1 where application examples of the BA3823LS are shown with the 5 center frequencies and some min/typ/max gain values.

This is not a homework, just trying to figure out what the above equalizer actually does. Thanks for your time and sorry if i'm posting this in wrong section.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, about the frequencies i just noticed that the capacitors used in the example application (pdf) are the same as the diagram shown. Show they would probably be the same:

fre.png

So what remains is the gain (db), how much they boost or cut those frequencies. For example those, if i'm reading this correctly:

res.png

Is there an equation to find the db based on those two values?

Related to Calculate IC equalizer frequencies and gain

What is an IC equalizer, and why is it used?

An IC (integrated circuit) equalizer is a device used in audio processing to adjust the balance between different frequency components of an audio signal. It is used to enhance sound quality, correct imbalances in audio playback, and tailor the sound to specific preferences or environments.

How do you determine the frequencies for an IC equalizer?

To determine the frequencies for an IC equalizer, you typically start by identifying the audio spectrum range you want to adjust. Common frequency bands include bass (20-250 Hz), midrange (250-4000 Hz), and treble (4000-20000 Hz). The specific frequencies chosen depend on the application and desired audio adjustments. Analyzing the audio content and using tools like spectrum analyzers can help in selecting the appropriate frequencies.

What is the role of gain in an IC equalizer?

Gain in an IC equalizer refers to the adjustment of the amplitude (volume) of specific frequency bands. By increasing or decreasing the gain, you can boost or cut the levels of certain frequencies, respectively. This allows for precise control over the tonal balance and overall sound quality of the audio signal.

How do you calculate the required gain for each frequency band in an IC equalizer?

Calculating the required gain for each frequency band involves analyzing the audio signal and determining which frequencies need adjustment. This can be done using audio analysis tools or by listening tests. Once the target frequencies are identified, you can apply the desired gain values using the equalizer's controls. The gain values are usually specified in decibels (dB), with positive values for boosting and negative values for cutting frequencies.

What tools and methods are used for designing and testing IC equalizers?

Designing and testing IC equalizers involve a combination of hardware and software tools. Circuit design software like SPICE can be used to simulate the equalizer circuits. Audio analysis tools, such as spectrum analyzers and oscilloscopes, help in measuring and visualizing the frequency response. Additionally, listening tests are crucial for subjective evaluation. Prototyping with actual ICs and breadboards is also common for practical testing and refinement.