Calculate Impact Speed of Car Hitting Sign

• Thread starter Scott1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Sign
In summary, a person is seeking help identifying their speed after hitting a 4x4 post on a country road. They have a rough estimate of 20-30 mph, but their father believes they were going 50 mph. The person is looking for a physics formula to accurately calculate their speed, but it is unlikely to be found for a 4x4 post due to its organic material. Additional experimentation is recommended.
Scott1965
Hi, I hit a 4x4 post holding a streetsign up on a country road. I guess I was doing about 20 or 30 when I went off the road and struck the sign. It snapped the 4x4 in half at impact point and then toppled onto and almost into my windshield. I am looking for a physics formula to help accurately identify my speed. My Dad says I was going at least 50. I say no way. Help if you can. Thanks S

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're looking for your speed when you struck the sign. What data do you actually have? All that you've posted so far is your best guess at your speed. What do you have that you could actually measure to calculate your best guess at your speed?

Google finds http://www.4n6xprt.com/Equation_Comparison-Frontal_Narrow_Object_Impacts.pdf

It was published in JN Cofone, AS Rich, JC Scott - Accident Reconstruction Journal, 2007

but I'm not particularly familiar with the journal or the literature on this topic. It "smells OK" though - I can't totally guarantee how well academically this journal is accepted.

It seems to suggest that your truck should have been pretty badly mangled. It also suggests that utility poles have been fractured in 30mph collisions, though it's not clear how thick they were. (The Atlantic city tests on pg 1, specifically).

Scott1965 said:
Hi, I hit a 4x4 post holding a streetsign up on a country road. I guess I was doing about 20 or 30 when I went off the road and struck the sign. It snapped the 4x4 in half at impact point and then toppled onto and almost into my windshield. I am looking for a physics formula to help accurately identify my speed. My Dad says I was going at least 50. I say no way. Help if you can. Thanks S

The 4x4 is organic material and not subject to rigorous analysis before you hit it so it is unlikely that you will find a nice formula.

There are many sources which you can consult about the average strength of a 4x4 post.

Clearly some additional experimentation is warranted...

Related to Calculate Impact Speed of Car Hitting Sign

1. How do you calculate the impact speed of a car hitting a sign?

To calculate the impact speed of a car hitting a sign, you will need to know the distance the car traveled before impact, the weight of the car, and the amount of force applied to the sign. You can then use the formula: impact speed = distance traveled / time of impact to calculate the impact speed.

2. What is the formula for calculating impact speed?

The formula for calculating impact speed is impact speed = distance traveled / time of impact. This formula takes into account the distance traveled by the car before impact and the length of time it took for the impact to occur.

3. What units are used to measure impact speed?

Impact speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). These units are used to measure the speed at which the car was traveling when it hit the sign.

4. Can you determine the impact speed of a car hitting a sign without knowing the weight of the car?

No, the weight of the car is an important factor in calculating the impact speed. The weight of the car determines the amount of force that is applied to the sign upon impact. Without this information, the impact speed cannot be accurately calculated.

5. Why is it important to calculate the impact speed of a car hitting a sign?

Calculating the impact speed of a car hitting a sign is important for several reasons. It can help determine the severity of the impact and the potential damage to the car and the sign. It can also be used to analyze the cause of the accident and make improvements to prevent similar accidents in the future.