Calculate Initial Bullet Speed in SHM with Block-Spring System

In summary, a bullet with a mass of 5.4 grams is fired horizontally into a 0.50 kg block of wood on a frictionless table. The block, attached to a spring, compresses and begins to undergo SHM with a frequency of 9.5 Hz and an amplitude of 15 cm. The goal is to determine the initial speed of the bullet, which the person was able to solve by using the wrong equation at first, but eventually solved correctly by using the differential of the displacement function.
lando45
My teacher set us a bunch of pendulum/SHM questions, and I managed to crack them all except for this one which has been bothering me:

"A 5.4 g bullet is fired horizontally into a 0.50 kg block of wood resting on a frictionless table. The block, which is attached to a horizontal spring, retains the bullet and moves forward, compressing the spring. The block-spring system goes into SHM with a frequency of 9.5 Hz and an amplitude of 15 cm. Determine the initial speed of the bullet."

I found the following diagram to help me calculate my answer but I came up with the wrong answer.

shm.gif

Here's what I did:

Displacement (y) = Amplitude (A) x sin (Angular Frequency [w] x Time [t])
y = 0.15 x sin ([2 x Π x f] x [1 / f])
y = 0.15 x sin (59.7 x 0.105)
y = 0.15 x 0.109
y = 0.0164
So in time 0.105 seconds the block w/ spring moved 0.0164 metres which is equivalent to 0.156ms^-1.

I then plugged this value into the motion equation m1v2 = m2v2 and got the following:

0.0054u = 0.5054v
v = 0.156
0.0054u = 0.5054 x 0.156
0.0054u = 0.079
u = 14.6ms^-1

I tried submitting this answer but it was wrong...can someone please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: OK I just solved it, I realized I was using the wrong equation, I should have been using the differential of the y displacement function. Thanks anyway.

Sometimes the universe do listen to our problems and have pity on us.

FAQ: Calculate Initial Bullet Speed in SHM with Block-Spring System

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central position, following a path that resembles a sine wave. It occurs when a restoring force is applied to an object that is proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position.

What are the conditions for Simple Harmonic Motion?

There are two conditions that must be met for Simple Harmonic Motion to occur. First, there must be a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that as the object moves further from its equilibrium position, the force pulling it back to the equilibrium position increases. Second, the motion must be periodic, meaning that it repeats itself over a specific time interval.

What are some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. These systems all have a restoring force (gravity, spring force, and tension respectively) that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, and they all exhibit periodic motion.

What is the relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion and energy?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the total mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) remains constant. As the object moves back and forth, it continually converts between kinetic and potential energy, but the total energy remains the same. This is known as conservation of energy.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to wave motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is closely related to wave motion. In fact, wave motion can be thought of as a series of many simple harmonic motions that are all connected. This is because waves also exhibit periodic motion and have a restoring force that is proportional to displacement, just like SHM. However, waves also have the added component of traveling through space, while SHM occurs in one fixed position.