Calculate Interest on Account: 2.1% per Annum

• MHB
  • Thread starter lave48
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has a savings account with a 2.1% annual interest rate that has fluctuated due to withdrawals. They are seeking the formula for calculating the interest earned over the year, and the answer depends on the bank's policies. The most accurate method is to calculate interest on a daily basis using the daily interest rate of 0.00575%. Alternatively, the average balance for the year can be multiplied by 0.021 to determine the interest earned.
lave48
I have an account that pays 2.1% per annum. The amount in the account has varied over the year due to withdrawals. My question is what is the formula for working out the interest due to me over the year? Many thanks in advance Lave48

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Precisely what happens depends upon the policy of the bank. Most likely, and certainly the most exact, would be to deal with individual days. An interest rate of 2.1% per year is 2.1/365= 0.00575% per day. Calculate the interest for each day with the amount of money that day.

lave48 said:
I have an account that pays 2.1% per annum. The amount in the account has varied over the year due to withdrawals. My question is what is the formula for working out the interest due to me over the year? Many thanks in advance Lave48
...or calculate the average balance for the year;
multiply result by .021

Example: if av.bal. = 1200, then 1200*.021 = 25.20
Enough for a 12pack of beer!

FAQ: Calculate Interest on Account: 2.1% per Annum

What is the formula for calculating interest on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate?

The formula for calculating interest on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate is:
Interest = Principal x (Annual Interest Rate/100)

How do you calculate the interest earned on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate over a specific period of time?

To calculate the interest earned on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate over a specific period of time, you can use the following formula:
Interest Earned = Principal x (Annual Interest Rate/100) x Time (in years)

What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated only on the initial principal amount, while compound interest is calculated on the initial principal amount plus any accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will result in a higher return on investment compared to simple interest.

How often is the interest on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate compounded?

The frequency of compounding interest on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate can vary depending on the financial institution. It is important to check with your bank or financial institution to determine the specific compounding frequency for your account.

Is the interest earned on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate taxable?

Yes, the interest earned on an account with a 2.1% annual interest rate is considered taxable income and must be reported on your tax return. However, if the interest earned is below a certain amount, it may not be subject to taxes. It is important to consult with a tax professional for specific information regarding your tax obligations.

Back