Calculate Leg Breaking Force: 60kg, 1m Height Drop

In summary, jumping from a height of 1.00 m and landing stiff-legged on a concrete floor can result in a broken leg due to the compressive stress on the bone. The minimum stopping distance that does not result in a broken leg for a person with a mass of 60.0 kg is approximately 5.12*10^4 N. This can be calculated using the formula F*deltaS = impulse.
Faiza
If you jump from a desk and land stiff-legged on a concrete floor,
the chance is good that you will break a leg. To see how this
happens, consider the average force stopping your body when you
drop from rest from a height of 1.00 m and stop in a much shorter
distance d. Your leg is likely to break where the cross-sectional area
of the bone (the tibia) is smallest. This is at a point just above the
ankle, where the cross-sectional area of the bone is about 1.60 cm^2.
A bone fractures when the compressive stress on it exceeds about
1.60*10^8 N/m^2. If you land on both legs, the maximum force your
ankles can safely exert on the rest of your body is then about……..

2 (1.60*10^8 N/m^2) (1.60*10^-4 m^2) = 5.12*10^4 N.

Calculate the minimum stopping distance d that does not result
in a broken leg if your mass is 60.0 kg. Don’t try it! Bend your knees!

Physics news on Phys.org
? :'( anyone know how to solve this problem?

there arnt any formulas to apply...:[

Helllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppp

I think bumping is illegal, but who knows. I read through this and the phrase "...stop in a much shorter distance d" is confusing me. If you are falling, why would there be a stopping distance?

e(ho0n3 said:
I think bumping is illegal, but who knows. I read through this and the phrase "...stop in a much shorter distance d" is confusing me. If you are falling, why would there be a stopping distance?

The stopping distance is the distance your body traveled (very very small) while comnig to a rest. To faiza, think of the problem in terms of impulse: F*deltaS = impulse. A really large impulse is generated by a karate chop as opposed to a punch by a boxer because of the time it took for the force being applied to be removed (small in karate chop's case and large in the boxer's case). It's the impulse that hurts not the force.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculate Leg Breaking Force: 60kg, 1m Height Drop

1. How is "Calculate Leg Breaking Force" determined?

The "Calculate Leg Breaking Force" is determined by using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What are the units for the calculated leg breaking force?

The units for the calculated leg breaking force are Newtons (N).

3. Can the height drop in the calculation be changed?

Yes, the height drop can be changed, but it will affect the calculated leg breaking force. The higher the drop, the greater the force will be.

4. Is 60kg the only mass that can be used in the calculation?

No, the mass can be changed to any value. However, a mass of 60kg is typically used as it represents the average weight of an adult human.

5. What is the purpose of calculating leg breaking force?

The purpose of calculating leg breaking force is to determine the amount of force that would be generated on a person's leg if they were to fall from a certain height. This information can be used for safety purposes in various fields such as sports, construction, and emergency response.

Back