Calculate Length of Unwound Wire with Angular Velocity and Spool Radius

• Thread starter xortan
  • Start date
In summary, we are given the radius of a spool (48.0 cm) and the number of revolutions it makes (2.1). The goal is to find the length of wire that is unwound. To solve this problem, we need to find the distance traveled by the wire, which can be calculated by multiplying the radius by the number of revolutions. This gives us 100.8π cm. Therefore, the length of wire unwound is approximately 100.8π cm.
xortan
1. A spool of wire is rolled out along a level floor. If the radius of the spool is 48.0 cm and the spool makes 2.1 revolutions, what length of wire (in cm) is unwound?

velocity = (angular velcity)(radius)

2.1 rev * 2pie radians/rev. I know the revs will cancel and i will have 4.2pie radians

Since velocity = Distance/time i will say time=1 min then i get distance=(48.0)(4.2pie) which is 201.6pie cm/min and i will divide this by 60 to get 3.36pie cm/sec

Am i going in the right direction? I don't know if what i did so far is right or if I am missing something, thanks in advance for the help this would really help me for the midterm i got on tuesday

Physics news on Phys.org
xortan said:
1. A spool of wire is rolled out along a level floor. If the radius of the spool is 48.0 cm and the spool makes 2.1 revolutions, what length of wire (in cm) is unwound?

velocity = (angular velcity)(radius)

2.1 rev * 2pie radians/rev. I know the revs will cancel and i will have 4.2pie radians

Since velocity = Distance/time i will say time=1 min then i get distance=(48.0)(4.2pie) which is 201.6pie cm/min and i will divide this by 60 to get 3.36pie cm/sec

Am i going in the right direction? I don't know if what i did so far is right or if I am missing something, thanks in advance for the help this would really help me for the midterm i got on tuesday

There's nothing in this problem that gives velocity or asks for it. All that's needed is the length of wire that unwinds from the spool.

BTW, the name of this Greek letter, [itex]\pi[/itex], is pi, not pie. A pie is something you can eat.

Mmm... I sure wish I had that many pies per second...

A few hints:

Find how much would be left behind with one revolution. This should be simple, and you have all the variables necessary. But the spool makes 2.1 revolutions. How much would then be left behind?

You are making it more complex than it needs to be. Who cares how fast the thing goes? Besides, you don't have the information to do this. You only really need how far it went.

Related to Calculate Length of Unwound Wire with Angular Velocity and Spool Radius

1. How do I calculate the length of unwound wire with angular velocity and spool radius?

To calculate the length of unwound wire, you will need to use the formula: length = (angular velocity * spool radius * 2 * pi). This formula takes into account the angular velocity (in radians per second) and the radius of the spool (in meters). The result will be in meters, which can be converted to other units if needed.

2. What is angular velocity and how does it affect the length of unwound wire?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second. The higher the angular velocity, the faster the spool will rotate, resulting in a longer length of unwound wire.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of spool?

Yes, as long as the spool has a circular shape and the wire is being wound around the outer edge of the spool, this formula can be used. Just make sure to use the correct units for both the angular velocity and spool radius.

4. Is there a maximum limit for the length of unwound wire that can be calculated with this formula?

No, there is no maximum limit for the length of unwound wire that can be calculated with this formula. However, if the spool is too large or the angular velocity is too high, the length of unwound wire may become impractically long.

5. How accurate is this formula for calculating the length of unwound wire?

This formula is accurate as long as the measurements for angular velocity and spool radius are precise. However, it is important to note that there may be slight variations in the actual length of unwound wire due to factors such as wire thickness and tension on the wire.