Calculate Line Integral: Conservative Field Question with Circle | Homework Help

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find two equations for the same curve, but are lost. The first equation is for the line integral, and the second is for the potential. The first equation is for the line integral of the function f(r)=-\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}. The second equation is for the potential of the function f(r)=-\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}, where r is the polar central angle.
manenbu

Homework Statement

I need to calculate:
[tex]\oint_{\Gamma} \vec{F}\cdot d \vec{r}[/tex]

where:
[tex]
\vec{F} = \frac{-y \vec{i} + x \vec{j}}{x^2+y^2}
[/tex]
where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the positive direction circle:
a. x2 + y2 = 1
b. (x-2)2 + y2 = 1

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{C} \nabla f \cdot d \vec{r} = f(\vec{r}(b)) - f(\vec{r}(a))[/tex]
and/or (??)
[tex]\int_{C} \nabla f \cdot d \vec{r} = \int_{a}^{b} \nabla f (\vec{r}(t)) \cdot \vec{r}'(t) dt [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm totally lost on this one.
I found out that [itex]f = -\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}[/itex], and that in polar coords:
[tex]\vec{F} = \left( \frac{-\sin{\theta}}{r} , \frac{\cos{\theta}}{r} \right)[/tex]
But what to do now?
I tried doing the stuff required by the relevant equations but nothing seems to work, for both circles. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second relevant equation can always, at least in principle, be used to calculate the line integral. But for an integral of the type

[tex]\oint_C \vec F \cdot\, d\vec R[/tex]

you always want to check if the theorems about conservative fields are valid. For example, in 2D with a closed path, are the hypotheses of Green's Theorem satisfied? If so, then what?

And with respect to parameterizing one of those integrals and working it directly you might want to let t be the polar central angle. For example in the second problem you might try:

[tex]x = 2+\cos(t),\ y = sin(t)[/tex]

Well, in this case, everything should be valid.
The potential is [itex]f = -\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}[/itex], and the path is closed. Which puts me right in the beginning of this question.
Unless I got something wrong here.

There are hypotheses to the Green's and independence of path theorems. Read them carefully. If the hypotheses apply you can use the theorems and if they don't you have to calculate directly.

ok.
The curve has to be positively oriented - yes.
Curve has to be smooth - yes.
Curve has to be simple (not cross itself) - yes.
Curve has to be closed - yes, it's a circle.
the partial derivatives have to be continuous D, which is the inside of the circle. Here is a problem - they're not, since (0,0) is undefined but it's inside the circle. This means that I can't use green's theorem, and I must calculate directly.
Question is - how. What is my [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex]? (cost,sint)?
In that case, my integral is:
[tex]\int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{\sin^2{t} + \cos^2{t}}{r} dt = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{dt}{r}[/tex]
Which is wrong (and what do I do about the r? assume it to be 1?).

You ask: What is my [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex] ? (cost,sint)?

Does x = cos(t) y = sin(t) parameterize the circle? If r was some number a instead of 1 wouldn't you use x = a cos(t) y = a sin(t)?

And can you use Green's theorem on the other circle or do you have to parameterize it too?

ok so let's start over.
my function is:
[tex]
\vec{F} = \frac{-y \vec{i} + x \vec{j}}{x^2+y^2}
[/tex]
parameterizing the circle:
x= a cost
y= a sint
a2 = x2 + y2
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = (a \cos{t}, a\sin{t})[/itex]
plugging it into the function:
[tex]
\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = \left( \frac{-a\sin{t}}{a^2} , \frac{a\cos{t}}{a^2} \right) = \left( \frac{-\sin{t}}{a} , \frac{\cos{t}}{a} \right)
[/tex]
now I need to differentiate the vector:
[itex]\vec{r}'(t) = (-a \sin{t}, a\cos{t})[/itex]
so:
[tex]
\oint_{\Gamma} \vec{F}\cdot d \vec{r} = \oint_{\Gamma} \left( \frac{-a\sin{t}}{a^2} , \frac{a\cos{t}}{a^2} \right) = \left( \frac{-\sin{t}}{a} , \frac{\cos{t}}{a} \right) \cdot (-a \sin{t}, a\cos{t}) = \int_{0}^{2\pi} dt = 2\pi - 0 = 2\pi[/tex]
Which is the correct answer. Is this the way to do it?
Seems so simple now.

btw - it also means that the radius of the circle (a) doesn't matter anything, since it cancels out?

I'll try the other circle now.

Ok, for the second circle, trying to solve the integral directly with [itex]x = 2+\cos(t),\ y = sin(t)[/itex] seems to complicated.
Since the function is not defined on (0,0), and the circle never reaches there (centered at 2,0 with radius 1) I can use green's theorem.
So:
[tex]
\oint_{C} Pdx + Qdy = \iint_{D} \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial y} dA
[/tex]
in this case:
[tex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}[/tex]
so:
[tex]\iint_{D} \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial y} dA = 0[/tex]
The answer should be 0, but I got the feeling that my method is not correct.

Another way would be using the potential:
[itex]f = -\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}[/itex]
since the start and end points are the same, f(b)-f(a) = 0.
again - I'm not sure that what I'm doing here is correct, since y=0 and that's a problem (division by zero).

2 pi is correct for the first one. But I have been trying to get you to see for yourself that a = 1. The circle is of radius 1. There should be no a in your work and it is just happenstance that the a's canceled out.

Your work for the second is correct. The reason your potential function seems to have a problem at y = 0 is that your potential function isn't correct. Check it.

Ok, thanks a lot.
Seems like I'm getting it right, even though I'm not always sure I am. :)

Related to Calculate Line Integral: Conservative Field Question with Circle | Homework Help

What is a conservative field?

A conservative field is a vector field in which the line integral of the vector field along any closed path is zero. This means that the total work done by the vector field on an object moving around a closed path is independent of the path taken.

What are some examples of conservative fields?

Some examples of conservative fields include gravitational fields, electric fields, and magnetic fields. In each of these cases, the work done by the field on an object moving around a closed path will be the same regardless of the path taken.

How can you determine if a given vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the gradient test. If the vector field is the gradient of a scalar function, then it is conservative. Another way is to calculate the line integral along a closed path and see if it equals zero.

What is the significance of conservative fields?

Conservative fields have important applications in physics and engineering. They allow us to easily calculate the work done by a field on an object moving through the field. They also have many theoretical implications, such as the conservative nature of energy and the concept of potential energy.

Are all vector fields conservative?

No, not all vector fields are conservative. Non-conservative fields have a non-zero line integral along a closed path. Examples of non-conservative fields include frictional forces and air resistance. These fields do not follow the principle of conservation of energy.