Calculate Magnitude of Force to Push 10 kg Object 11m, Speed 2 to 5.2 m/s

In summary, a 10 kg object was pushed through a distance of 11 metres, with its initial speed being 2 m/s and its final speed being 5.2 m/s. The amount of work done on the object was 123 J and the question is asking for the magnitude of the force. The relevant equations for solving this problem are Ek = 1/2 mv^2 and W = fd. After some calculation errors, the correct answer is determined to be 115 N.
cthionic

Homework Statement

"A force was used to push a 10 kg object through a distance of 11 metres. Its speed was initially 2 m/s, and was increased to 5.2 m/s at the end of the 11 metres. What was the magnitude of the force?"

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2 mv^2
W = fd?

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial kinetic energy was 20, final = 143. 123 J of work went into the system. Unsure of what to do from here, or if that was the correct approach. We're reviewing "work and energy" chapter in class, so I would assume it would be along those lines. multiple choice options are 10.5 N, 115 N, 230 N, 23 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the amount of work that was done and you know the distance the force acted to do that work.

Oops. I see my mistake, I was dividing 123 by 11, 143 J at 5.2m/s isn't correct, it's actually 135. Thanks.

FAQ: Calculate Magnitude of Force to Push 10 kg Object 11m, Speed 2 to 5.2 m/s

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m * a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What are the units for force?

The units for force are Newtons (N).

What is the mass in this scenario?

The mass in this scenario is 10 kg.

What is the acceleration in this scenario?

The acceleration in this scenario can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the object starts at a speed of 2 m/s and ends at a speed of 5.2 m/s. Assuming it takes 1 second to reach this speed, the acceleration would be (5.2 - 2) / 1 = 3.2 m/s^2.

What is the magnitude of force required to push the object?

The magnitude of force required to push the object can be calculated using the formula F = m * a. Plugging in the values from this scenario, the force required would be 10 kg * 3.2 m/s^2 = 32 N.