Calculate Max Force Exerted by Octopus in Salt Water 32.3m Deep

• Thread starter amjber2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the maximum force (N) that the powerful octopus can exert in salt water at a depth of 32.3 m is being determined. The octopus uses one sucker of diameter 2.75 cm on each of the two shells of a clam in an attempt to pull them apart. The person seeking help has tried using the formula F=PA but has not been able to get the correct answer. They believe the depth is causing the issue and are requesting assistance. Another person suggests considering the resistive force of the water pressure in the direction of the octopus' pull. They provide a website for calculating water pressure and ask for the workings out to be shown.
amjber2
A very powerful octopus uses one sucker of diameter 2.75 cm on each of the two shells of a clam in an attempt to pull the shells apart. Find the greatest force (N) that the octopus can exert in salt water 32.3 m depth.

I tried using F=PA but cannot seem to get the right answer. the depth is wat i think is messing me up. please help. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
amjber2 said:
A very powerful octopus uses one sucker of diameter 2.75 cm on each of the two shells of a clam in an attempt to pull the shells apart. Find the greatest force (N) that the octopus can exert in salt water 32.3 m depth.

I tried using F=PA but cannot seem to get the right answer. the depth is wat i think is messing me up. please help. thanks.
I believe you need to consider the resistive force to the direction that the octupus is pulling, so the water pressure. That force must be overcome.

Try this website for water pressure:
http://www.mrhall.org/science/waterpressurecalc/waterpressurecalc.htm

Can you show us some workings out?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited by a moderator:

To calculate the maximum force exerted by the octopus in salt water at a depth of 32.3m, we need to consider several factors such as the pressure at that depth and the surface area of the suction cups.

Firstly, we need to convert the depth of 32.3m into pressure, which can be done using the formula P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of salt water (which is approximately 1025 kg/m^3), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the depth in meters. This gives us a pressure of approximately 316,225 Pa.

Next, we need to calculate the surface area of the suction cups. Since there are two suction cups with a diameter of 2.75 cm each, the total surface area can be calculated as follows:

Surface area = πr^2 = π(0.0275m)^2 = 0.00237 m^2

Now, we can use the formula F = PA to calculate the maximum force exerted by the octopus, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is surface area. Plugging in the values, we get:

F = (316,225 Pa) (0.00237 m^2) = 749.479 N

Therefore, the greatest force that the octopus can exert in salt water at a depth of 32.3m is approximately 749.479 N. It is important to note that this is only an estimation as there are other factors such as the strength of the octopus's muscles that can affect the actual force exerted.

FAQ: Calculate Max Force Exerted by Octopus in Salt Water 32.3m Deep

1. How do you calculate the maximum force exerted by an octopus in salt water at a depth of 32.3 meters?

The maximum force exerted by an octopus can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where F is the force exerted, ρ is the density of salt water (1025 kg/m³), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), h is the depth (32.3 m), and A is the cross-sectional area of the octopus.

2. What is the average force exerted by an octopus in salt water at a depth of 32.3 meters?

The average force exerted by an octopus can vary based on the size and strength of the octopus, but on average it can be estimated to be around 5-10 times its body weight.

3. How does the force exerted by an octopus change as the depth of the water increases?

The force exerted by an octopus increases as the depth of the water increases due to the increase in pressure. This is because the density of the water increases with depth, resulting in a greater force being exerted on the octopus.

4. Can the force exerted by an octopus in salt water be measured directly?

No, the force exerted by an octopus in salt water cannot be measured directly as it is difficult to accurately measure the pressure at different depths. Instead, it can be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 1.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum force exerted by an octopus in salt water at a depth of 32.3 meters?

Yes, other factors such as the shape and size of the octopus, the temperature and salinity of the water, and the presence of other objects or organisms can also affect the maximum force exerted by an octopus in salt water at a depth of 32.3 meters.

Back