Calculate Molality of 27% H2SO4 Solution

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molality
In summary, the question asks for the molality of a sulfuric acid solution with 27% by mass of H2SO4 and a density of 1,198 g/mL. Using the equation molality = moles of solvent / mass of H2SO4 (kg), we can calculate the molality by first converting the given percentage into grams. Then, using the molar mass of H2SO4, we can calculate the moles of H2SO4 present in 1 kg of solution. Finally, we can plug the values into the equation to find the molality, which is 3.78 moles/kg.
fishingspree2

Homework Statement

Find the molality of a sulfuric acid solution which contains 27,0% by mass of H2SO4 and a density of 1,198 g/mL

Homework Equations

molality = moles of solvent / mass of H2SO4 (kg)

The Attempt at a Solution

If we have 1kg of the solution, then we have 0,270 kg of H2SO4
We also have 1 - 0,270 = 0,730 kg of water

If one mole of water weighs 18 grams and we have 730 grams of water, then we have (730/18) moles of water.

molality = moles of solvent / mass of H2SO4 (kg)
= (730/18) moles / 0,270 kg of H2SO4
= 150,2 moles/kg

This is not the correct answer, the correct answer is 3,78
What to do??
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no chemist, but I think molality is moles of solute per kg of solvent. Look this up in your textbook to make sure you are starting with the right definitions.

I see...your problem in the equation for molality. Molality is equal to moles of solute over one kilogram of solvent. I think you flipped your equation

my definition of moles is things per amount of liquid (solvent)
so the calculation formula for molarity is M = mol/L
that means Molarity = moles over Volume in liters

so your equation would be M = mol/L, but you have it in Kg. This is not a problem because one gram of water is approximately equal to one ml of water. So if you have one L of water, that would mean that 27% of it is H2SO4. In one liter of water there are 1000 ml of water, so that means that 27% of 1000 is 270. That means that there are 270 ml of H4SO4 (aq). There are 1.198g/ml, so there are 323.46 grams of H2SO4. The molar mass of H2SO4 is 98 grams per mole, so to get moles of H2SO4, you divide the grams by the molar mass. That means that there are 323.46/98 = 3.3 moles of H2SO4. Now you do the rest, so i don't tell you the whole thing. =D

link2110 said:
my definition of moles is things per amount of liquid (solvent)
so the calculation formula for molarity is M = mol/L
that means Molarity = moles over Volume in liters

Question asks for molality, not molarity. Thus both your posts are unfortunately off.

Additionally, it is 27% w/w solution, so 1000 mL of solution doesn't contain 270 mL of sulfuric acid, but 1 kg of solution contains 270 g of sulfuric acid. That is huge difference.

oh i thought it was a spelling mistake :-p

Related to Calculate Molality of 27% H2SO4 Solution

1. What is molality and how is it different from molarity?

Molality is a measure of concentration that expresses the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. It is different from molarity, which expresses the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Molality takes into account changes in density with temperature, while molarity does not.

2. How do I calculate the molality of a solution?

To calculate the molality of a solution, you need to know the mass of the solute and the mass of the solvent. You can then use the formula: molality = moles of solute / kilograms of solvent. Make sure to convert the masses to the correct units (moles and kilograms) before plugging them into the formula.

3. What is the molality of a 27% H2SO4 solution?

The molality of a 27% H2SO4 solution can be calculated by first finding the mass of H2SO4 present in 100 grams of solution. This can be done by multiplying the percentage of H2SO4 by the total mass of the solution. Then, use the formula mentioned in question 2 to calculate the molality.

4. Why is it important to know the molality of a solution?

Molality is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the concentration of a solution compared to molarity. It also takes into account any changes in density with temperature, making it a more reliable measure for experiments and calculations.

5. Can I convert molality to molarity?

Yes, molality can be converted to molarity using the formula: molarity = molality * density (in kg/L). However, it is important to note that this conversion is only accurate for dilute solutions, as the density of concentrated solutions may vary with temperature. It is always best to use the original measured values for molality and molarity rather than converting between the two.