Calculate Moles of NaOH: Homework Help

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter homevolend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, the student is struggling to calculate the moles of NaOH in a reaction with acetic acid due to not knowing the molarity of the substances used in the titration. They have tried using the formula c = n / V, but without the concentration, they cannot determine the number of moles. The room temperature does not affect the number of moles, and using numbers such as 22.4 to calculate moles is not accurate. The student did not record the concentrations in their lab book, which makes the entire procedure nonsensical.
homevolend

Homework Statement

Calculate the moles of NaOH in the reaction of NaOH + acetic acid. This is a titration where the NaOH neutralized the acetic acid. It took 0.02 L of NaOH to neutralize 3 ml of acetic acid. I just do not know what to do, have been trying for a few days and can't seem to get it.

Homework Equations

Can't use the moles = M x L because I don't know the Molarity.

I am thinking that I have to use some other law but not sure what one...

I did the lab at room temp, not sure if that makes a differnce or not.

thanks, help greatly appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
My friend, unless you know the concentration of the sodium hydroxide or the acetic acid that you used in the laboratory titration, there is no way you will be able to calculate the number of moles of NaOH used up in the process.

The room temperature cannot hint at the number of moles as the two quantities are apparently unrelated.

You were right to quote the formula c = n / V, where c is the concentration, n is the number of moles and V is the volume. However, you need the concentration of either of the acids to work out the number of moles of NaOH.

You didn't record the concentrations in your lab book, did you?

Well, we did not get the concentrations. We put the NaOH in a burette then recorded the initial and final volume. Also recorded the amount of acetic acid used.

I think some are calculating moles by using the number 22.4 not sure what that means though?

homevolend said:
Well, we did not get the concentrations.

Then whole procedure doesn't make sense. You need a concentration. It is usually either written on the bottle or told by TA or whoever takes care of the lab.

I think some are calculating moles by using the number 22.4 not sure what that means though?

It means nothing. 22.4L is a volume of 1 mole of gas at STP. There are also several other numbers they can use - like 3.14 (pi), or 2.78 (e). They don't make more sense though, they are just a way of showing creativity.

First, let's start by identifying the known and unknown variables in this problem. We know the volume of NaOH used (0.02 L) and the volume of acetic acid neutralized (3 ml). We also know that the reaction is a titration, meaning that the moles of NaOH used must be equal to the moles of acetic acid neutralized. Therefore, our unknown variable is the moles of NaOH.

To calculate the moles of NaOH, we can use the formula: moles = concentration (M) x volume (L). Since we do not know the concentration of NaOH, we will have to rearrange the formula to solve for concentration.

Concentration (M) = moles / volume (L)

We know that the moles of NaOH and acetic acid are equal, so we can set up the equation:

Moles of NaOH / 0.02 L = Moles of acetic acid / 0.003 L

Solving for moles of NaOH, we get:

Moles of NaOH = (Moles of acetic acid x 0.02 L) / 0.003 L

Now, we need to find the moles of acetic acid. To do this, we can use the formula: moles = concentration (M) x volume (L). We know the volume of acetic acid (3 ml), so we just need to find the concentration.

To find the concentration, we can use the formula: concentration (M) = molarity x volume (L). We know the volume (3 ml), but we do not know the molarity. However, we can use the fact that the moles of NaOH and acetic acid are equal to find the molarity.

Moles of NaOH = Moles of acetic acid

Concentration of NaOH (M) x 0.02 L = Concentration of acetic acid (M) x 0.003 L

Solving for concentration of acetic acid, we get:

Concentration of acetic acid (M) = (Concentration of NaOH (M) x 0.02 L) / 0.003 L

Now that we have the concentration of acetic acid, we can substitute it into our original equation to find the moles of NaOH:

Moles of NaOH = [(Concentration of NaOH (M) x

Related to Calculate Moles of NaOH: Homework Help

1. How do I calculate the number of moles of NaOH in a given solution?

To calculate the number of moles of NaOH, you will need to know the volume and the concentration of the solution. The formula for calculating moles is moles = concentration x volume. So, if you have a 0.5 M solution of NaOH with a volume of 100 mL, the number of moles would be 0.5 x 0.1 = 0.05 moles.

2. What is the molarity of a solution of NaOH?

The molarity of a solution of NaOH is the concentration of the solution, expressed in moles per liter (mol/L). To find the molarity, you can divide the number of moles of NaOH by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. How do I convert grams of NaOH to moles?

To convert grams of NaOH to moles, you will need to know the molar mass of NaOH, which is 40 g/mol. Divide the given mass of NaOH by the molar mass to get the number of moles. For example, if you have 20 grams of NaOH, the number of moles would be 20 g / 40 g/mol = 0.5 moles.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate moles for any substance?

No, the formula for calculating moles (moles = concentration x volume) is specific to solutions. For other substances, you would need to use different formulas depending on the given information.

5. How do I know if my calculated moles of NaOH are correct?

To check if your calculated moles of NaOH are correct, you can use the formula for molarity (molarity = moles / volume) to calculate the concentration of the solution. If your calculated moles and concentration match the given values, then your calculation is correct.