Calculate NRG: Spectral Function for Anderson Model

• A
  • Thread starter gonadas91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the NRG code to study an impurity model related to the Anderson model. The speaker is calculating the density of states using Gaussian functions with a width of the order of the characteristic frequency, but is unsure if they are correctly evaluating the gaussians at w = 2wN for each eigenstate. It is suggested to carefully analyze the results and make sure the Gaussians are centered correctly for accurate results.
gonadas91
Hi there! I've recently performed and NRG code to study one impurity model, related to the Anderson model. I want to calculate the density of states (spectral function) but I don't know if I am doing things right.

Since after some iterations we need to truncate the number of eigenstates of the hamiltonian, these are the only ones contributing to the next iteration. Since the hopping parameters of the Wilson chain decay exponentially, at each iteration there is a characteristic frecuency (omega) of the order of the hopping parameter for that Nth step.

My question is, when evaluating the density of states (on the impurity), we have the formula for T=0 of the matrix elements of the impurity operator, multiplied by Dirac delta functions. So each peak is multiplied by a "weight" given for that matrix elements squared. I am passing these delta functions to gaussian functions, whose width is of the order of the characteristic frecuency, but for each eigenstate, only evaluating these gaussians at w = 2wN, being wN the characteristic frecuency, is that alright¿ Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the NRG code and your question about calculating the density of states. Based on your description, it seems like you are on the right track in your approach.

When evaluating the density of states, it is important to take into account the truncation of eigenstates and the characteristic frequency of the hopping parameters. The use of Gaussian functions with a width of the order of the characteristic frequency is a common approach in NRG calculations. However, it is important to make sure that the Gaussians are centered at the correct frequency for each eigenstate, as you have mentioned. It is also important to consider the energy resolution and the number of eigenstates used in the calculation to ensure accurate results.

In addition to the technical aspects, it is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the results of the density of states calculation. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system and can help validate the accuracy of the NRG code.

Overall, it seems like you are taking the necessary steps in your calculation. I would suggest double-checking the centering of the Gaussians and the energy resolution used, and also carefully analyzing the results to ensure their accuracy. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out for assistance.

Best of luck with your research!

Related to Calculate NRG: Spectral Function for Anderson Model

1. What is the Anderson Model used for?

The Anderson Model is a theoretical model used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of electrons in a material. It is commonly used to study the properties of materials with localized electronic states, such as semiconductors and insulators.

2. How is the spectral function calculated for the Anderson Model?

The spectral function is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the energy levels and interactions between electrons in the material. This calculation involves solving complex equations and can be done using various numerical methods, such as the density matrix renormalization group (DMRG) or the quantum Monte Carlo method.

3. What is the significance of the spectral function in the Anderson Model?

The spectral function provides important information about the electronic structure of a material, such as the energy levels and the distribution of electrons. It is a crucial tool in understanding the behavior of electrons in a material and can help explain various physical phenomena, such as superconductivity or magnetism.

4. Can the spectral function be experimentally measured?

Yes, the spectral function can be measured experimentally using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) or inelastic neutron scattering. These experiments involve exciting the electrons in a material and measuring the resulting energy levels and interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Anderson Model to calculate the spectral function?

Like any theoretical model, the Anderson Model has its limitations. It assumes a simplified system and does not take into account all possible interactions between electrons. In addition, the calculations can become very complex and time-consuming for larger systems, making it difficult to apply to real-world materials.

Back