Calculate Outflow Velocity with High Pressure Tank & Water Vessel

• Thread starter MattRob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the high pressure air tank is connected to a water vessel with two choke points. The first choke point has the opening area c1, the second c2, and the outflow nozzle has the opening area c3. Let's say the air pressure is pressure p and the area onto which it distributes force onto the water is Aw. Ve is the velocity at which it flows out the tank. What will this velocity be? I have a vague idea, that give area Aw, I can just calculate how much force is being exerted on the water by pressure p, and apply that much force to area c3. Is that correct? Ve = (p * Aw) / c3. The only problem with that though
MattRob
Okay, so there's a system with a high pressure tank, connected to a water vessel:

diagram_by_eagle1division-d52pu33.png

The high pressure air tank is (a), and the water tank is (b).
The first choke point has the opening area c1, the second c2, and the outflow nozzle has the opening area c3.

Let's say the air pressure is pressure p, and the area onto which it distributes force onto the water is Aw.

Ve is the velocity at which it flows out the tank. What will this velocity be?

I have a vague idea, that give area Aw, I can just calculate how much force is being exerted on the water by pressure p, and apply that much force to area c3. Is that correct?
Ve = (p * Aw) / c3

The only problem with that though is that should be describing an acceleration, not a velocity...
But to determine a velocity, I need a mass. A mass requires a volume, though, not an area, but all I have is an area (c3).

So... How do I find Ve?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Velocity times crosssectional area = volume rate of flow.

What quantity do you know that transforms volume into mass?

Use Bernoulli's principle. its basically a form of the law of conservation of energy.

Studiot said:
Velocity times crosssectional area = volume rate of flow.

What quantity do you know that transforms volume into mass?

What velocity? Outflow velocity?

How am I going to know the volume rate of flow if I don't know the outflow velocity?

All I know is
1) the pressure of tank a (of atmospheric air)
2) the crossectional area that that pressure is being applied on the water mass
3) the crossectional area of the different chokepoints c1, c2, and c3.

What I'm trying to find is the mass flow rate out the back, how much mass in how much time, and at what velocity? (In other words, how much momentum, the entire system is a propulsion system, it's goal is to generate thrust, the question is how much thrust will it generate given those known variables?)

Hello Matt,

Your diagram was so much neater than my rough sketches and the text so crisp that I (and probably other respondents) thought this was a homework type question. So the replies were rather cyptic.

I don't know if you are familiar with Bernoulli's theorem?

OK so you have a water reservoir pressurised to pressure Pb by a compressed air reservoir.

I think you can neglect gravity in this application.
So that the pressure in the water will be the same throughout the reservoir.
This will equal Pa initially and at least for some time after the valve C3 is opened.

This situation will be independent of C1 and C2.

So the pressure at C3 on initial opening the valve will be Pa.

The water jets out and a little way beyond C3 the pressure will be atmospheric.

At the moment of opening the valve we can make the assumption that the water reservoir is large enough to take the general flow velocity within the reservoir itself to be zero.

This gives us all the information we need to set up and solve the Bernoulli equation for the velocity just outside C3.

You can then use mass (flow rate) = Volume(flow rate) x density
and thence to your momentum calculation.

Do you need help with setting up the Bernoulli equation and is this homework?

For a more refined model you could note that the actual velocity will be less by what is known as a discharge coefficient. I suggest 0.8 at a first stab.

Related to Calculate Outflow Velocity with High Pressure Tank & Water Vessel

1. How do you calculate the outflow velocity with a high pressure tank and water vessel?

To calculate the outflow velocity, you will need to use the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the sum of pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy in a system is constant. You will also need to know the dimensions and pressure of the tank and vessel, as well as the density of the water. By solving for velocity in the equation, you can determine the outflow velocity.

2. What factors affect the outflow velocity in this system?

The outflow velocity is affected by the pressure of the tank and vessel, the dimensions of the tank and vessel, the density of the water, and any external forces acting on the system, such as gravity or friction.

3. Can the outflow velocity be increased by increasing the pressure in the tank and vessel?

Yes, according to Bernoulli's equation, an increase in pressure will result in an increase in velocity, assuming all other factors remain constant.

4. How does the shape of the tank and vessel affect the outflow velocity?

The shape of the tank and vessel can affect the outflow velocity by changing the flow pattern of the water. A longer, narrower tank and vessel may result in a higher velocity compared to a shorter, wider tank and vessel.

5. Is it possible to calculate the outflow velocity without knowing the pressure of the tank and vessel?

No, the pressure of the tank and vessel is a crucial factor in calculating the outflow velocity. Without this information, the equation cannot be solved accurately.