Calculate pay off debt with minimum payment only?

In summary, if you only make the minimum payment of 2% on a debt of $5000 with an interest rate of 6.4%, it will take approximately 58.3 months to pay off the debt. The total interest paid will be $6.4% of the original amount plus the remaining balance each month. A formula to calculate this is n = LOG(u) / LOG(v), where u = p / (p−ai), v = 1 + i, n = number of payments, p = monthly payment, a = amount originally owing, and i = interest monthly.
Juliayaho
How can i calculate how many months it would take me to pay off a debt if I only make the minimum payment?

let say I ow 5000 my interest rate is 6.4% my payment rate is 2% so If i calculate my minimum payment I know it be 100 more or less but I i just pay that minimum how many month it would take me to pay off that debt and how much interest would I end up paying at the end?

what would be a formula to calculate that?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Juliayaho said:
How can i calculate how many months it would take me to pay off a debt if I only make the minimum payment?

let say I ow 5000 my interest rate is 6.4% my payment rate is 2% so If i calculate my minimum payment I know it be 100 more or less but I i just pay that minimum how many month it would take me to pay off that debt and how much interest would I end up paying at the end?

what would be a formula to calculate that?
Thanks!

Hi Juliayaho! :)

I found this thread lying around.
Do you still want help on it?

If you pay 2% per period (is that per month?), it will take 50 periods.

The interest you pay is 6.4% over the original 5000, then 6.4% over the remaining 4900, and so on.
Btw, what is the period you pay 6.4% on? Is it a month? Or a year?
Assuming you pay 6.4% over the same period that make your payments of 2% for, the total interest you pay will be $6.4\% \times (5000 + 4900 + 4800 + ... + 100)$.

This is a so called arithmetic series.
Do you know how to calculate it?

Juliayaho said:

You seem to be saying "if I pay 100 per month constantly":
quote: "I just pay that minimum"

If so, it will take approximately 58.3 months.

u = p / (p−ai)
v = 1 + i
n = LOG(u) / LOG(v)

n = number of payments(?)
p = monthly payment(100)
a = amount originally owing(5000)
i = interest monthly(.064/12)

u = 100/[100−5000(.064/12)]
v = 1+.064/12
n = LOG(u) / LOG(v) = 58.30898...

Note that if instead you pay 2% of the opening month's balance,
then the initial $100 payment will slowly reduce...
but theoretically you will never pay off!

Last edited:

Related to Calculate pay off debt with minimum payment only?

1. How long will it take to pay off my debt using only the minimum payment?

The time it takes to pay off your debt using only the minimum payment depends on several factors, including the total amount of debt, the interest rate, and the minimum payment amount. Generally, it will take much longer to pay off your debt with only the minimum payment compared to making larger payments.

2. Can I save money by paying off my debt with only the minimum payment?

No, paying off your debt with only the minimum payment will not save you money. In fact, it will likely cost you more money in the long run due to accruing interest on the remaining balance. It is always best to pay off your debt as quickly as possible to save money on interest.

3. How much interest will I pay if I only make the minimum payment?

The amount of interest you will pay depends on the interest rate and the total amount of debt. Generally, the longer it takes to pay off your debt, the more interest you will end up paying. You can use an online calculator or consult with a financial advisor to determine the exact amount of interest you will pay.

4. Is it possible to pay off my debt faster by making only the minimum payment?

No, making only the minimum payment will not allow you to pay off your debt faster. In fact, it will prolong the time it takes to pay off your debt. If you want to pay off your debt faster, you will need to make larger payments or consider consolidating your debt into a lower interest loan.

5. Are there any risks to only paying the minimum on my debt?

Yes, there are risks to only paying the minimum on your debt. If you continue to make only the minimum payment, you may end up paying more in interest and it may take much longer to pay off your debt. Additionally, if you miss a payment or make a late payment, it can negatively impact your credit score. It is important to always make at least the minimum payment on your debt and strive to pay off the balance as quickly as possible.