Calculate Period & Energy of a Perfect 10kg Pendulum | Quick Question

• Thread starter Abdeln
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, we have a pendulum with a mass of 10kg and a length of 4.1 meters that is pulled back and released, with an additional 5x10^-1 joules of work done on it towards the left. We are asked to find its period, total energy, and maximum distance from the vertical. The extra work affects the total energy and does not affect the period. The maximum distance is determined by the amplitude of the pendulum, which can be calculated using the total energy and the formula L(1-cos(θ)).
Abdeln

Homework Statement

A pendulum with a mass of 10kg and a length of 4.1 meters is pulled back 26 centimeters to the right from the vertical and released. As it is released, an additional amount of work equal to 5x10^-1 joules is done on the pendulum in the tangential direction toward the left. What is its period in seconds? Assuming a perfect pendulum (No more work is done on it by any force), what is the total energy of the pendulum at all times? What is the maximum distance that the pendulum can ever be from the vertical after it is released?

Since there's a perfect pendulum now, does that mean I don't add that extra .5 joules to the total energy...or does that still apply? I'm pretty sure that I don't add it now but I'm not sure. Also, does that extra work affect the period? No right? Furthermore, in regards to the maximum distance, is that simply the distance where the angle of the pendulum doesn't exceed 90 degrees? Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdeln said:
Since there's a perfect pendulum now, does that mean I don't add that extra .5 joules to the total energy...or does that still apply? I'm pretty sure that I don't add it now but I'm not sure.
The additional work adds to the total energy. The pendulum wasn't merely released, but was pushed.

Also, does that extra work affect the period? No right?
How would you find the period of a pendulum? Does it have anything to do with energy?

Furthermore, in regards to the maximum distance, is that simply the distance where the angle of the pendulum doesn't exceed 90 degrees?
No. How high can the pendulum swing?

Got the first part, and period is 2piSQRT(L/g) so no it doesn't. Is how high the pendulum can swing simply the amplitude of the pendulum?

Abdeln said:
Got the first part, and period is 2piSQRT(L/g) so no it doesn't.
Good.

Is how high the pendulum can swing simply the amplitude of the pendulum?
Yes. But note that the question asks for distance from the vertical, so you'll have to figure that out.

can I simply do L(1-cos(θ)) ?

Abdeln said:
can I simply do L(1-cos(θ)) ?
That will give you the height above the lowest point as a function of angle. That might prove useful as a step towards the answer.

Hint: Use the total energy to find the maximum height.

Oh so I would use the formula for PE which is mgh, and since its at the top of its swing the PE is the TE so TE = mgh, then isolate for h, convert that to L(1-cos(θ)) and have the new equation L(1-cos(θ))= TE/mg, then further isolate the cos(θ) to cos(θ) = -1 + TE/MGL. then i get the angular amplitude, convert that to linear by doing Lsin(θ) ?

Abdeln said:
Oh so I would use the formula for PE which is mgh, and since its at the top of its swing the PE is the TE so TE = mgh, then isolate for h, convert that to L(1-cos(θ)) and have the new equation L(1-cos(θ))= TE/mg, then further isolate the cos(θ) to cos(θ) = -1 + TE/MGL. then i get the angular amplitude, convert that to linear by doing Lsin(θ) ?
Looks good to me.

Thank you very much for your help.

FAQ: Calculate Period & Energy of a Perfect 10kg Pendulum | Quick Question

What is a quick pendulum?

A quick pendulum is a type of pendulum that has a short period of oscillation, typically less than one second. It is often used in experiments or demonstrations to show the effects of gravity and other forces on a swinging object.

What factors affect the period of a quick pendulum?

The period of a quick pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact.

How is the period of a quick pendulum calculated?

The period of a quick pendulum can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the angle of release is small (less than 15 degrees) and that there is no air resistance or friction.

What is the difference between a quick pendulum and a simple pendulum?

The main difference between a quick pendulum and a simple pendulum is the period of oscillation. A simple pendulum has a longer period, typically more than one second, while a quick pendulum has a shorter period, typically less than one second. This difference is due to the length and angle of release of the pendulum.

What are some real-world applications of a quick pendulum?

Quick pendulums have many real-world applications, including timekeeping devices, seismometers, and accelerometers. They are also used in experiments to study the effects of gravity and other forces on objects in motion.

Back