Calculate Power of Car Jack | Physics Problem Help - 250-W Hydraulic Jack

• Thread starter sp00ky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
P_{1} and P_{2} are the power of the car jack in the first and second scenarios, and t_{1} and t_{2} are the times it takes for the car to be lifted in the first and second scenarios.In summary, a car jack is used to lift a quarter of the weight of a 1200kg car 20 cm in 20s. To calculate the power of the car jack, the formula P = mgh/t is used. When a 250-W hydraulic car jack is used to do the same work on the same car, the time it takes to lift the car will be calculated using the formula P_{1}*t_{1}=P_{2}*t_{
sp00ky
A car jack is used to lift a quarter of the weight of a 1200kg car 20 cm in 20s. Calculate the power of the car jack.

I got this answer no problem:
P = eg/t
= mgh/t
= (300kg)(9.8N/kg)(0.20m)/20.0s
= 588J/20.0s
= 29.4W

I believe this is a follow up question and I can't seem to get it. I get an answer, but it's different fromt he back of the book so I guess this answer is wrong. Maybe you can help me on this question:

A 250-W hydraulic car jack is used to do the same work on the same car as in the previous problem. How long will it take to lift the car this time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the work will be the same, then
[tex]P_{1}*t_{1}=P_{2}*t_{2}[/tex]

To solve this problem, we can use the same formula for power: P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. We know that the power of the car jack is 250 W, and we can calculate the work done by the jack by multiplying the force needed to lift the car (300 kg x 9.8 N/kg = 2940 N) by the distance it needs to be lifted (0.2 m). This gives us a work of 588 J. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

250 W = 588 J/t
Solving for t, we get t = 2.35 seconds.

So, it would take approximately 2.35 seconds for the 250-W hydraulic car jack to lift the car 20 cm. This is a faster time compared to the previous problem because the car jack has a higher power output.

FAQ: Calculate Power of Car Jack | Physics Problem Help - 250-W Hydraulic Jack

1. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

First, take a deep breath and try not to panic. Then, go back and review any relevant notes or textbook material. If you still can't solve the problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. Make sure you understand the underlying concepts and equations, and try solving a variety of problems. You can also try using different problem-solving strategies and techniques.

3. Can you give me some tips for understanding physics problems?

Start by identifying what the problem is asking for and what information is given. Then, draw diagrams or make a list of known and unknown variables. Use equations and principles to solve for the unknowns, and always check your units and answer for reasonableness.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a specific physics concept?

If you are struggling with a specific concept, try looking for additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems. You can also try discussing the concept with your teacher or a classmate, or seeking help from a tutor.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes in physics problem-solving?

One way to avoid mistakes is to always double check your work and your units. It's also important to understand the concepts behind the equations you are using, rather than just memorizing them. Additionally, try solving problems in different ways to ensure your understanding and catch any errors.

Back