Calculate Process for Drug Production: MW 192, 10.3 L/min, 41.2% Drug, SG 1.025

In summary: The concentration of a substance in a solution is the amount of the substance in a liter of the solution. The concentration of a substance in a gas is the amount of the substance in a liter of the gas. I asked my prof and he also said that unless it is specifed otherwise, I should take it as mass percentage.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The question is
In the production of a drug having a molecular weight 192, the exit stream from the reactor flows at the rate of 10.3 L/min. The drug concentration is 41.2% (in water) and the specific gravity of the solution is 1.025. Calculate (i) The concentration of the drug in Kg/L in the exit stream
(ii) Flow rate in Kg-mol/min.

The question I have is

When the concentration of the drug is given as 41.2%, is it by mass or by volume? Is there any convention which is followed by engineers in this context? I ask this because in many similar problems, I have the same doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's probably by weight percent, I'm not sure how well a molecule with such a high molecular weight would dissolve when it consists of almost 50% of the total volume.

When it is not specified to be by weight or volume (they really should specify this), you can usually assume they mean by weight when referring to a drug unless you have some reason to believe the pure form is a liquid at room temperature.

I asked my prof and he also said that unless it is specifed otherwise, I should take it as mass percentage.

Thanks for the help all.

w/w probably. Take a look at concentration lectures.

Borek
--
Chemical calculators at www.chembuddy.com
equation balancer and stoichiometry calculator
www.pH-meter.info

what does this have to do with anything in reference to the original post?

siddharth said:
The question is
In the production of a drug having a molecular weight 192, the exit stream from the reactor flows at the rate of 10.3 L/min. The drug concentration is 41.2% (in water) and the specific gravity of the solution is 1.025. Calculate (i) The concentration of the drug in Kg/L in the exit stream
(ii) Flow rate in Kg-mol/min.

The question I have is

When the concentration of the drug is given as 41.2%, is it by mass or by volume? Is there any convention which is followed by engineers in this context? I ask this because in many similar problems, I have the same doubt.

its solution is not too much difficult b/c you should solve in number of ways either my mass or by volume calculation

FAQ: Calculate Process for Drug Production: MW 192, 10.3 L/min, 41.2% Drug, SG 1.025

What is the formula for calculating the process for drug production?

The formula for calculating the process for drug production is: (MW * L/min * % Drug * SG)/1000.

How do I calculate the molecular weight (MW) of a drug?

The molecular weight (MW) of a drug can be found by adding the atomic weights of all the elements in the drug's chemical formula.

What is the significance of the flow rate (L/min) in the drug production process?

The flow rate (L/min) indicates the amount of drug being produced per unit of time, which is an important factor in determining the efficiency and productivity of the production process.

What does the drug concentration (% Drug) represent in the calculation process?

The drug concentration (% Drug) represents the percentage of the drug in the final product, which affects the potency and effectiveness of the drug.

How do I convert specific gravity (SG) to density for drug production calculations?

To convert specific gravity (SG) to density, multiply the SG by 1000 and then multiply by the density of water (1 g/mL). This will give you the density in g/mL, which is the unit commonly used in drug production calculations.