Calculate Real and Reactive Power and write equation for S = P + jQ

In summary, the homework statement is saying that v=141.4sin(wt+15) and i=14.14cos(wt-45). The Attempt at a Solution says that v=100sin(wt+15) and i=10sin(wt+45). I leads V by 30 degrees. theta=30 degrees. P=VI cos(theta)=100*10*cos(30)=866W and Q=VI sin(theta)=100*10*sin(30)=500VAR. S=P+jQ=866+j500. However, in answer it is given S=866-j500. This is because convention says that leading VAR
jaus tail

Homework Statement

v = 141.4sin(wt + 15)
i = 14.14 cos(wt - 45)

Homework Equations

Draw Phasors.
P = VI cos(theta)
Q = VI sin(theta)
S = P + jQ
theta is angle between V and I

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
V = 141.4sin(wt + 15)
So Vrms = 141.4/1.414 sin(wt + 15)
= 100 sin (wt + 15)

I = 14.14 cos(wt - 45)
Now cos (-theta) = cos(theta)
So I = 14.14 cos (45-wt)
So I = 14.14 sin(90-45 + wt)
So I = 14.14 sin(45 + wt)
I rms = 10sin(wt + 45)

Now Vrms = 100sin(wt + 15)
I rms = 10sin(wt + 45)
I leads V by 30 degrees.
theta = 30 degrees.
P = VI cos(theta) = 100 * 10 * cos(30) = 866W
Q = VI sin(theta) = 100 * 10 * sin(30) = 500VAR
So S = P + jQ = 866 + j500

But in answer it is given S = 866 - j500

Where does the minus sign come from?
I understand that it is leading power factor so it gives Q but mathematically sin(30) is positive value. So why should S have negative VAR?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leading current (current leads voltage) gives phasors pointing down (negative angle). Lagging current (current lags voltage) give phasors pointing up (positive angle).
That is the convention.
phasor-diagram-of-RLC-Series-circuit-compressor.jpg

Attachments

• phasor-diagram-of-RLC-Series-circuit-compressor.jpg
    phasor-diagram-of-RLC-Series-circuit-compressor.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 3,790
Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:

Homework Statement

v = 141.4sin(wt + 15)
i = 14.14 cos(wt - 45)

Homework Equations

Draw Phasors.
P = VI cos(theta)
Q = VI sin(theta)
S = P + jQ
theta is angle between V and I

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
V = 141.4sin(wt + 15)
So Vrms = 141.4/1.414 sin(wt + 15)
= 100 sin (wt + 15)

I = 14.14 cos(wt - 45)
Now cos (-theta) = cos(theta)
So I = 14.14 cos (45-wt)
So I = 14.14 sin(90-45 + wt)
So I = 14.14 sin(45 + wt)
I rms = 10sin(wt + 45)

Now Vrms = 100sin(wt + 15)
I rms = 10sin(wt + 45)
I leads V by 30 degrees.
theta = 30 degrees.
P = VI cos(theta) = 100 * 10 * cos(30) = 866W
Q = VI sin(theta) = 100 * 10 * sin(30) = 500VAR
So S = P + jQ = 866 + j500

But in answer it is given S = 866 - j500

Where does the minus sign come from?
I understand that it is leading power factor so it gives Q but mathematically sin(30) is positive value. So why should S have negative VAR?
By convention, leading VARs are negative and lagging VARs are positive, and S=VI*.
(If it were the opposite, you'd have to use S=IV*.)

Likes jaus tail
So mathematically when we calculate Q then it is V multiplied by I multiplied by the angle by which the voltage leads the current.
Thus here we'll get -theta.

I've also read that if P and Q are in opposite direction then motor/generator is working at leading pf. if P and Q are in same direction then motor/generator is working at lagging pf.

jaus tail said:
I've also read that if P and Q are in opposite direction then motor/generator is working at leading pf. if P and Q are in same direction then motor/generator is working at lagging pf.
There is no direction for Q. It is oscillating between the generator and the load.

Then why do we say that capacitor acts as source of Q and inductor acts as load of Q?

Related to Calculate Real and Reactive Power and write equation for S = P + jQ

1. What is the difference between real and reactive power?

Real power, or active power, is the actual amount of power being used in a circuit to perform useful work. It is measured in watts (W). Reactive power, on the other hand, is the power that oscillates back and forth between the source and load without being used for work. It is measured in volt-amperes reactive (VAR).

2. How is real power calculated?

Real power is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) in a circuit, and then multiplying that by the power factor (PF). The formula for real power is P = VIcos(θ), where θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current.

3. How is reactive power calculated?

Reactive power is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) in a circuit, and then multiplying that by the sine of the phase angle (θ). The formula for reactive power is Q = VIsin(θ).

4. What is the relationship between real power, reactive power, and apparent power?

Real power, reactive power, and apparent power (S) are related by the Pythagorean theorem, where S² = P² + Q². This means that the apparent power is the total of the real and reactive power in a circuit.

5. How can the equation S = P + jQ be used to calculate power in a circuit?

This equation, known as the complex power formula, is used in electrical engineering to represent the total power in a circuit. It takes into account both the real and reactive components of power, where S is the complex power, P is the real power, and Q is the reactive power. By using this equation, we can calculate the total power in a circuit and determine how much of that power is being used for useful work (P) and how much is being lost due to reactive elements (Q).