Calculate Resistance of 43m Copper Wire

• Thread starter shimizua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, to calculate the resistance of a 43m long number 16 copper wire with a diameter of 1.291mm, we can use the equation R=pl/A and assume a circular cross-section with A = πr2 (= πd2/4). We can also use the given value of rho=1.72x10-8 Ohm-m for the resistivity of copper. The units of resistance will be ohms.
shimizua

Homework Statement

A number 16 copper wire has a diameter of 1.291mm. Calculate the resistance of a 43m long piece of such wire. Use rho=1.72x10-8 Ohm-m for the resistivity of copper. Use units of "ohm".

Homework Equations

R=pl/A
rho is the same thing as the p

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know the equation for find A. if you can help me with that then this should be simple since both p and l are given as well as d.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shimizua! :smile:
shimizua said:
A number 16 copper wire has a diameter of 1.291mm.

I just don't know the equation for find A.

The question gives the diameter, so you can assume that the cross-section is circular, and use A = πr2 (= πd2/4). :wink:

FAQ: Calculate Resistance of 43m Copper Wire

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. How do you calculate resistance?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The main factors that affect resistance are the material of the conductor, its length, and its cross-sectional area. Temperature and the presence of impurities can also affect resistance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω).

5. How can I reduce resistance in a circuit?

You can reduce resistance in a circuit by using a thicker conductor with a larger cross-sectional area, reducing the length of the conductor, and using materials with lower resistivity. Additionally, keeping the circuit at a lower temperature can also reduce resistance.

Back