Calculate scattering amplitude by delta function potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the scattering amplitude f(θ) in Born approximation to the first order with a delta function scattering potential in spherical coordinates. The equation for the scattering amplitude is given, but there is difficulty in inserting the delta function into the formula. Various attempts at a solution are discussed, including using a three-dimensional delta function and calculating its Fourier transform. The conversation also mentions using Latex to type the integral sign.
liumylife

Homework Statement

I need to give scattering amplitude f(θ) in Born approximation to the first order in the case of delta function scattering potential δ(r). The problem is in spherical coordinate and I'll give major equation concerned.

Homework Equations

The equation for scattering amplitude is given by
f(θ) = C ∫_0^∞ dr rV(r)sinqr
where q is only a function of θ, so treat it as a constant in this formula, and C is just another constant, too.

The only issue left is to insert the delta function into the formula, and this is exactly the problem: no equation can be used in such case where the integral range begin just at zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I look every textbook to find useful formulas, found nothing.
And I tried to create a new function such that the integral range is from -∞ to ∞,
then half the new integral to obtain a result, but it achieved nothing since it gives zero, so help me, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is that x δ(x) is zero everywhere, so the integral vanishes. Are you sure that delta function is one-dimensional? That seems strange. Perhaps it's 3-dimensional instead. Try massaging the identity [tex] \int dV \delta^3(r) = 1 [/tex] to see the magic happen.

that is not the scattering amplitude with any potential,use the three dimensional delta function and calculate the Fourier transform of it to obtain amplitude.

Thank you for reply.
By the way, how do you make the integral sign so large? Latex? I had tried to type in the Latex code but it didn't work.

This seems a better path, I'll try, thank you.

Related to Calculate scattering amplitude by delta function potential

1. What is a delta function potential?

A delta function potential is a type of potential energy in quantum mechanics that is represented by the Dirac delta function. It is used to model a point-like interaction between particles and is commonly used in scattering problems.

2. How is the scattering amplitude calculated for a delta function potential?

The scattering amplitude for a delta function potential is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation with the potential function included, and then using the boundary conditions to determine the amplitude of the outgoing wave. This amplitude is then used to calculate the probability of scattering for a given incident particle.

3. Can the scattering amplitude for a delta function potential be negative?

Yes, the scattering amplitude for a delta function potential can be negative. This indicates that the scattered wave has a phase shift of π, which means that it is shifted by half a wavelength compared to the incident wave.

4. How does the strength of the delta function potential affect the scattering amplitude?

The strength of the delta function potential affects the scattering amplitude by changing the amplitude of the outgoing wave. A stronger potential will result in a larger amplitude and thus a higher probability of scattering.

5. Can the scattering amplitude for a delta function potential be greater than 1?

Yes, the scattering amplitude for a delta function potential can be greater than 1. This indicates that there is a higher probability of scattering for a given incident particle. However, it is important to note that the probability of scattering cannot exceed 1, as this would violate the laws of quantum mechanics.