Calculate Size of Radius for Muonic Atom in Lithium-7

• Thread starter touley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the muonic atom has a smaller radius than an electron in a doubly ionized lithium-7 ion. The binding energy of the muon in the ground state is also calculated. The series limit of the wavelength for the first three series is also calculated.
touley
size of radius -- HELP

Hi

I'm stuck on a problem that I've been working on for a very long time and I was hoping someone could help. The problem reads as follows:

A muonic atom consists of a muon (m = 106 MeV/c2) in place of an electron. For the muon in a doubly ionized lithium-7 ion, calculate the following quantities.
a) the smallest radius in the ground state
(b) the binding energy of the muon in the ground state
(c) the series limit of the wavelength for the first three series
nm (first series)
nm (second series)
nm (third series)

I know I need to use the equation:

4*pi*epsilon*h-bar^{2} / me^{2}

Because the atom is lithium, I know I have to include Z (Z=3) next to the e^{2}. I derived the formula a billion times - I don't know what I'm doing wrong!
I also know that I need to find the reduced mass of a muon in lithium. I think I did this right.

I've been trying to work this out for an obscene amount of time. I feel like I'm overlooking something very basic. Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, that's the Bohr radius. And yes, you should change one of the e's to Ze and use the reduced mass. So what makes you think you are doing something wrong?

its online homework. every time i put my answer in, its wrong. i don't have very many chances left.

maybe I'm calculating the reduced mass wrong?

the equation is: m*M/(m+M)

for m I'm using the mass of the muon, 106MeV.
for M I'm using the mass of the nucleus, which is 3 times the mass of a proton, because I'm dealing with lithium. Mass of a proton is 938 Mev. 3 times that is 2814 Mev. I also tried it with kg-masses and I still get a wrong answer.
It's been PAST TIME for me to move on, but I need this one to figure out the rest. :bugeye:

lol, i also tried it using the reduced mass of one muon and one proton. i still don't get the right answer.

Three protons is not a stable lithium nucleus. The most common isotope has mass 7.

still not getting it right.

reduced mass of muon = m * 7M / (m + 7M) ?

Using mass of Li from a periodic table of 6.941 amu (I don't have a list of isotope masses). I get 1.85*10^(-28) kg for the reduced mass. Just a couple percent below the muon mass.

Thank You! You're The Best! :)

touley said:
Thank You! You're The Best! :)

So what were you doing wrong?

i kept getting 1.82 * 10^-28 for my reduced mass and it gave me a slightly larger radius. i guess it wasn't close enough for 'em. thanks again :-D

Related to Calculate Size of Radius for Muonic Atom in Lithium-7

1. How do you calculate the size of the radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7?

To calculate the size of the radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7, you can use the Rydberg equation and the Bohr radius formula. The Rydberg equation is given by R = 0.529 * n^2 / Z, where R is the radius, n is the principal quantum number, and Z is the atomic number. The Bohr radius formula is given by a0 = 0.529 * n^2 / Z, where a0 is the Bohr radius. By plugging in the values for n and Z for Lithium-7, you can calculate the radius for the muonic atom.

2. What is the Rydberg equation and how is it used to calculate the radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7?

The Rydberg equation is a mathematical formula that relates the energy levels of an atom to its atomic number and principal quantum number. It is used to calculate the radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7 by plugging in the appropriate values for n and Z and solving for the radius, which is represented by R in the equation.

3. What is the Bohr radius and how is it related to the size of the muonic atom in Lithium-7?

The Bohr radius is a physical constant that represents the average distance between the nucleus and the electron in a hydrogen atom. It is also used to calculate the radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7 by plugging in the appropriate values for n and Z and solving for the radius, which is represented by a0 in the equation.

4. How does the size of the muonic atom in Lithium-7 compare to a regular atom of Lithium-7?

The size of the muonic atom in Lithium-7 is significantly smaller than a regular atom of Lithium-7. This is because the muonic atom has a heavier and more tightly bound muon instead of an electron, which leads to a smaller radius. Additionally, the muon has a shorter lifetime compared to an electron, which also contributes to the smaller size of the muonic atom.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated radius for a muonic atom in Lithium-7. These include uncertainties in the values used for n and Z, as well as the effects of relativistic corrections and interactions between the muon and the nucleus. Additionally, the finite size of the nucleus and the distribution of charge within it can also affect the calculated radius.

Back