Calculate Speed, Freq & Wavelength of Transverse Waves

• Thread starter v0rtexza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the distance between 10 consecutive crests of transverse waves is 360mm. Using the equation v = fλ, where v is the speed, f is the frequency and λ is the wavelength, we can determine the speed, frequency and wavelength of the waves. First, we need to find the wavelength. Since there are 10 consecutive crests in a distance of 360mm, the distance between each crest is 360mm/10 = 36mm. Therefore, the wavelength is 36mm or 0.036m.Next, we can use the given information that a crest covers a distance of 40mm in 2.5 seconds to find the speed. We know that speed = distance/time
v0rtexza

Homework Statement

The distance between 10 consecutive crests of transverse waves is 360mm. A crest covers a distance of 40 mm in 2,5 seconds. Calculate the speed, frequency and wavelength of the waves.

Homework Equations

Period: The time taken for one complete vibration
Frequency: The number of complete vibrations per second
S = Speed
D = Distance
T = time
Speed = (distance/time) = (wavelength/period)
V = fλ
λ = wavelength
V= velocity
F = frequency = 1/period
period = 1/frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

f = 40/2,5 = 16
λ = 40 mm = 0,04
v = f * λ
v = 16 * 0,04
= 0,64 m/s

I just want to know if my calculations are correct or I am interchanging the wrong values.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at the question again and I think I solved it, I was calculating frequency wrong. f = 1/period and period is the time taken for one wave to move exactly one wavelength which is 2.5 seconds.

So f = 1/2.5 = 0.04
Then wavelength is 0.04 m
And finally v = fλ
so v = 0.04 * 0.04 = 0.016 m/s

I am fairly sure that I am correct but if not, please point it out to me!
Thanks again!

v0rtexza said:

Homework Statement

The distance between 10 consecutive crests of transverse waves is 360mm. A crest covers a distance of 40 mm in 2,5 seconds. Calculate the speed, frequency and wavelength of the waves.

Homework Equations

Period: The time taken for one complete vibration
Frequency: The number of complete vibrations per second
S = Speed
D = Distance
T = time
Speed = (distance/time) = (wavelength/period)
V = fλ
λ = wavelength
V= velocity
F = frequency = 1/period
period = 1/frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

f = 40/2,5 = 16
λ = 40 mm = 0,04
v = f * λ
v = 16 * 0,04
= 0,64 m/s

I just want to know if my calculations are correct or I am interchanging the wrong values.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

No, it does look like you are mixing some things up.

Start with the wavelength. You are given how long 10 wavelengths are, so how long is one wavelength?

You got all of them wrong.
You appear to have been trying to remember equations instead of physics: concentrate on what the different things mean. eg.

v is the distance the wave travels divided by the time to travel.

λ is the wavelength - the distance between equal phase parts of the wave: the distance from crest-to-crest for example.

f=v/λ you realize.

I believe that I realized my mistakes, is the second solution I posted above still incorrect?

v0rtexza said:
I looked at the question again and I think I solved it, I was calculating frequency wrong. f = 1/period and period is the time taken for one wave to move exactly one wavelength which is 2.5 seconds.
That is not what it says. How far does the wave move in 2.5 seconds?
either you are assuming too much or you've missed out a step, I cannot tell from what you wrote.
How did you determine the wavelength?
I am fairly sure that I am correct but if not, please point it out to me!
Thanks again!
It still looks like you are thinking in terms of equations and not physics.

The wavelength is the distance from one crest to the next.
What is that distance?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Start with the wavelength. You are given how long 10 wavelengths are, so how long is one wavelength?
Technically, that's not true ... he's told how long 10 crests are. That is not really the same as 10 wavelengths.

eg. If I put a post in the ground every 2m and I put in 10 posts, how long is the line of posts?

Ok well in that case, there are 10 consecutive crests so there is 9 wavelengths so I am told that the distance between all 10 crests is 360 mm so then 360/9 = 40 mm so the wavelength is 0.04 m?

That's the bit of information you need to put at the start.
(And hope the person writing the question didn't make the fence-post error.)

In each case you looked like you were working out the wavelength after the speed or the frequency - which makes everything look odd.

You are also told that the wave moves 40mm in 2.5s giving you speed as well as frequency. You can use v=fλ to check your results.

Note:
1. unless you are told to put all answers in SI units, it is acceptable to leave the units.
2. always put your reasoning - especially when seeking help online ;)

Related to Calculate Speed, Freq & Wavelength of Transverse Waves

1. How do you calculate the speed of a transverse wave?

The speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This can be represented by the formula: speed = frequency x wavelength. The unit for speed is meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The frequency and wavelength of a transverse wave are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship can be represented by the formula: frequency x wavelength = speed.

3. How do you calculate the wavelength of a transverse wave?

The wavelength of a transverse wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. This can be represented by the formula: wavelength = speed / frequency. The unit for wavelength is meters (m).

4. What is the unit for frequency?

The unit for frequency is hertz (Hz). One hertz is equal to one wave cycle per second. This unit is often used to measure the frequency of sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and other types of waves.

5. Can the speed of a transverse wave change?

Yes, the speed of a transverse wave can change depending on the medium through which it is traveling. The speed of a transverse wave is typically faster in solids than in liquids or gases. It can also change if the medium changes, such as when a wave moves from air to water. However, the frequency and wavelength of a transverse wave will remain constant as long as the medium does not change.