Calculate Speed over Time: Net Thrust of 5.25 m/s & 124 Secs

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the speed of an object over a certain period of time using the net acceleration force. It provides an example of a shuttle rocket with a constant net thrust of 5.25 m/s for 124 seconds and how to calculate the speed (1380 m/s). The conversation also mentions other sources that skip the conversion of m/s to the final time frame. The conversation then moves on to discussing the acceleration of a flashlight in space and how to calculate the speed after 20 hours of acceleration. The final calculation is (3 x 10^-8) x 27000 = 0.00081 m/s x 60 = 0.0486 m/m x 60 = 2
NickPerry
This should be a painfully simple question, and yet, I can't find the answer.

once you have calculated the net acceleration force of an object, how do you figure out how fast it will be going over X seconds?

example (taken from here: http://sciencelearn.org.nz/Contexts/Rockets/Looking-Closer/Calculating-rocket-acceleration)

the shuttle rocket has a NET thrust of 5.25 m/s and that thrust is constant for 124 seconds. how do you calculate the speed? (they get 1380 m/s)

I thought it was 5.25 x (124 ^ 2) = m / s ^ 2 but that answer is way off.
then i thought, maybe it's linear? 5.25 x 124 ? but that answer wasn't correct either..

I looked at other pages giving examples, but they all seem to skip the part where they convert the m/s to the final time frame.

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
NickPerry said:
the shuttle rocket has a NET thrust of 5.25 m/s and that thrust is constant for 124 seconds
The article says 5.25 m/s2 That's not thrust. That's acceleration.

The article also says: "As the shuttle uses its propellant, it also becomes much lighter, which increases acceleration"

So the article is clear that the 5.25 is NOT constant for 124 seconds.

Whoops. I must have glanced over that. how about this (where I originally got stuck on)

the acceleration of a flashlight in space:

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/dofov/does_a_flashlight_produce_thrust/

1Kg
3watt
=
10 ^ -8 Newton's of force. for 20 hours (27000 seconds)

how did he get 2.5 meters every hour after 20 hours of acceleration?

EDIT:

of course, now I figure it out:

( 3 x 10^ (-8) ) x 27000 = 0.00081 m/s x 60 = 0.0486 m/M x 60 = 2.916 meters per hour. doh >.<

(I originally forgot that they had their final answer as m/hr not m/sec)

Thank you for putting up with me!

Related to Calculate Speed over Time: Net Thrust of 5.25 m/s & 124 Secs

1. How do you calculate speed over time?

In order to calculate speed over time, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This will give you the average speed over the given time period.

2. What is net thrust?

Net thrust is the force created by an engine or propulsion system that is used to move an object forward. It is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds.

3. How do you convert meters per second to miles per hour?

To convert meters per second to miles per hour, you can use the following formula: MPH = (m/s) x 2.237. In this case, the speed of 5.25 m/s would be equivalent to 11.75 MPH.

4. Why is time an important factor in calculating speed?

Time is an important factor in calculating speed because it helps us determine the rate at which an object is moving. Without considering time, we would not be able to accurately measure the speed of an object.

5. How can the calculation of speed over time be useful in science?

The calculation of speed over time is useful in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can help us understand the motion and behavior of objects, as well as calculate important factors like acceleration and velocity.