Calculate Steel Cylinder Mass - 2.5m diam. x 4m length

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a hollow steel cylinder and the steps taken to calculate it. The calculated mass seems too large and it is suggested to exclude the hollow part by subtracting the inner diameter from the volume calculation.
gimini75
Hi

I have a problem I want to find the mass of a hollow cylinder which is made of steel, the sylinder diameter is 2.5m, the length is 4m, then I have done my calculations as follow:

Volume of the cylinder = Лd²/4 x h = 19.635 cubic meters

Mass of cylinder = volume x denisity
= 19.635 x 7800 = 153153 kg

This a very big mass I think it's wrong but I don't know why if you know can you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
gimini75 said:
Hi

I have a problem I want to find the mass of a hollow cylinder which is made of steel, the sylinder diameter is 2.5m, the length is 4m, then I have done my calculations as follow:

Volume of the cylinder = Лd²/4 x h = 19.635 cubic meters

Mass of cylinder = volume x denisity
= 19.635 x 7800 = 153153 kg

This a very big mass I think it's wrong but I don't know why if you know can you help me please?
You have calculated the mass of a solid steel cylinder. You need to know the wall thickness of the hollow cylinder, so you can exclude the hollow part in your calculation.

Hi
The wall thickness is 8 mm but Iam not sure how to do it? how to exclude it from the calculation?

gimini75 said:
Hi
The wall thickness is 8 mm but Iam not sure how to do it? how to exclude it from the calculation?

When you calculate the volume, subtract out the inner diameter.

CS

Related to Calculate Steel Cylinder Mass - 2.5m diam. x 4m length

1. How do you calculate the mass of a steel cylinder?

The mass of a steel cylinder can be calculated using the formula: mass = density x volume. In order to use this formula, you will need to know the density of steel, which is typically around 7850 kg/m^3. You will also need to know the volume of the cylinder, which can be found using the formula for the volume of a cylinder: volume = π x (radius)^2 x height. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the mass formula to calculate the mass of the cylinder.

2. What is the diameter and length of the steel cylinder?

The diameter of the steel cylinder is 2.5 meters and the length is 4 meters. These dimensions were provided in the original question and are necessary for calculating the volume of the cylinder.

3. Can you provide an example of how to calculate the mass of a steel cylinder?

Sure, let's say we have a steel cylinder with a diameter of 2 meters and a length of 3 meters. First, we need to calculate the volume using the formula: volume = π x (1 meter)^2 x 3 meters = 3π cubic meters. Then, we can use the density of steel (7850 kg/m^3) and the volume we just calculated to find the mass: mass = 7850 kg/m^3 x 3π cubic meters = 23,550π kg.

4. How accurate is the mass calculated using this method?

The accuracy of the calculated mass depends on the accuracy of the provided measurements and the assumed density of steel. If the measurements are precise and the density used is accurate, the calculated mass should be fairly accurate. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and consider any potential sources of error.

5. Can this method be used to calculate the mass of any type of cylinder?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the mass of any type of cylinder as long as the density and dimensions of the cylinder are known. Just be sure to use the appropriate units for the calculations (e.g. cubic meters for volume and kilograms per cubic meter for density).